Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 10:31 PM

John Denver and Roy Orbison.............

Now, there's a blast from the past!

I recorded progs from BBC4 on both of them. I've watched the one on John Denver and have just watched the one on Roy Orbison.

Both of them moved me to large amounts of sniffing - the lyrics were wonderful. I can remember (nearly) all the words and they evoke memories with those songs.

I didn't realise that both singers had tragedy in their lives, but their songs live on...............

Gwyn
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 10:38 PM

Re: John Denver and Roy Orbison.............

Fantastically talented - both of them. I think I have most of their works.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 12:05 AM

I always remember Del Shannon. I believe it was called "Runaway". It was playing the very first time I was kissed - ah. Silly me thought he truly cared, but it turned out he was just a groper!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Fantastic musicians but would fail badly on x factor these days but they certainly had that certain thing great musicians have IMO
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 10:37 AM

It certainly is a blast from the past. A lot of them had tragedy in their lives. I suppose that's why they wrote the lyrics they did. I remember going to see Roy Orbison at the Batley Varieties in Yorkshire as its not far from Leeds. That's where he met his German wife who was working there.
Even Del Shannon had a bad ending by committing suicide as he thought
no one wanted to hear his music anymore. They might earn some good money being famous but their lives don't always run smoothly, do they?

p.s. Loved Runaway and remember singing along to that at the side of the Waltzers at the fair when I was about 13.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Much of today's music is utter rubbish. For example, Leona Lewis was on TV the other day singing one of her latest songs in which the lyric consisted mainly of the two words "I hope" repeated umpteen times. Ira Gershwin would turn in his grave.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 12:50 PM

I do agree Alan.
No comparison in todays singers who think they can go on stupid shows and be instantly famous .. they mostly end up in oblivion, precisely because they haven't grown up or don't have the talent.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 02:25 PM

I have a Roy Orbison CD (a compilation of his hits) in the car and can play it full blast. Great tracks.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 04:16 PM

I don't know any of Del Shannon and I'm not sure I know any of John Denver but I did, in later years, come to love some of Roy Orbison's songs (I Drove All Night being a particular favourite).

Tastes in music change over time - I'm sure the previous generation would say Roy Oribson and Del Shannon! Rubbish singers
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Watched a programme about Roy Orbison a couple of nights ago excellent, unique, talent. Also featured were The Travelling Wilburys, such a shame both Roy and George Harrison are no longer with us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top