Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 05:48 PM

Re: What Music/Artists Do You Like?

Yes they were eye-opening days for all the young people then. I got married in 1965 at 19 years and am still married to the same lady, we took a big chance on our life together and it worked out, although sadly a lot of others I know of didn't.
Talking about drugs at that time, a chap outside my local dance hall offered me an unusually large cigarette for 2/6, "Get lost man, I can get a whole packet for 2 bob". Oh the innocence of it all.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 09:15 AM

Having been a local authority youth worker for 40 years (until taking early retirement three years ago this month - Oh Joyous Day!!!) I kept up with most of the trends in music between the '50s and today.
My first real musical interest was Adam Faith - I can remember having arguments with my older sister about who was better - Cliff Richard or Adam Faith (Presley never got a look in). Then in the '60's my real baptism began. After getting in to the R&B scene and being lucky enough to see bands like The Stones, Manfred Mann, Alexis Korner, Cyril Davies, Pretty Things, Yardbirds, The Who (still the High Numbers in those days) and the Kinks on a weekly basis in the clubs around London, I gradually moved towards an appreciation of the blues and folk music. In those days, artists like Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson and BB King found a new audience ion the UK on the foundations layed for them by The Stones, Yardbirds etc.
I also loved the new "hippy" folk music - Incredible String Band, Tim Buckley (Jeff's dad) and others.
Nowadays, my I-Pod's most played songs are from the '60's and '70's - Jethro Tull, Cream, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan.
In the late '70's I loved the arrival of punk and reggae and am still a massive Clash fan. I also like "heavy" reggae - Burning Spear, Peter Tosh etc.
As a parallel interest, I have always loved classical music - in particular Mahler, Brahms, Bruckner, and some modern jazz - Miles Davis, John Coltrane etc.
My abiding favourites are Dylan, Cohen, The Band and, of course Tom Waits.
At the moment I am listening to a new band that my daughter introduced me to - Mumford and Sons - a kind of folky, rocky mix with great lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E&feature=fvw

Mick
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Burning Spear-nice one.

I`m partial to a bit of reggea/ska/dub myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Xcj...eature=related
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Funny thing Mick, the wife and me used to have the same argument about Faith & Richard, I always rooted for Adam Faith while she just loved Cliff, I think it was because he was better looking than Adam and me.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Definitely Adam Faith for me (what do you want if you don't want money) - never really took to Cliff; I didn't think he had any character and Adam Faith was far better looking than Cliff anyway
alexrock23
New Member!
us
alexrock23 is male 

09-06-2010, 06:29 AM

Lady Gaga is very unique and is very out there in a good way. She is creative,daring, thinks outside the box. She's not afraid to be herself or take risks and she does sound good.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2010, 02:42 PM

I have a wide taste in music so I'd include KT Tunstall from Scottland, Jesse Cook, born in Paris but living in Canada & Benise from America and Enya from Ireland. KT Tunstall & Enya are vocalists, Jesse Cook & Benise are Spanish guitarists.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top