Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:06 PM

Re: Fenders Top 20

Originally Posted by fender ->
Odd isn't it. I'd generally say that it's not my kinda music, but always loved that track?
Not my type either tbh but on a par with 'Echo Beach' by Martha and the Muffins. Love that too.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not my type either tbh but on a par with 'Echo Beach' by Martha and the Muffins. Love that too.
I still have that single mate!
Like that as well - how odd eh?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:14 PM

I still have that single mate!
Like that as well - how odd eh?
Yep. I'm interested to see what else you come up with.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:16 PM

No.4 - Don't stop believin' - Journey

A very understated band imo. The album "Escape" is well worth a listen.

"Don't Stop Believin'" is a song by American rock band Journey, originally released as the second single from their seventh album Escape (1981). It became a number 9 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 on its original release. In the United Kingdom, the song was not a Top 40 hit on its original release; however, it reached number 6 in 2009.

Mike DeGagne of AllMusic has described "Don't Stop Believin'" as a "perfect rock song" and an "anthem", featuring "one of the best opening keyboard riffs in rock." It is the best-selling digital track from the 20th century with over 7 million copies sold in the United States.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-06-2018, 09:18 PM

I wasn't aware that I knew anything by Journey until I listened to the album on Floydy's thread. Of course, I had heard of this track. Great stuff.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Just goes to show you never know with music.

Journey has never enjoyed quite the same glittering fame as some of their fellow 1980s rock groups
But in 1981, they were thrust into the limelight with their feel good anthem Don’t Stop Believing. Although the song cropped up in TV shows and movies, the band never quite recaptured that initial success.

That was until 2009 when the popular TV show Glee covered the song. While the Glee version performed well, the original Journey track rocketed up the charts, peaking at number 9 in the UK.

It continues to perform well in digital downloads, consistently being one of the most downloaded songs not of the 21st Century.

(Copied from an article in the Sun)
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

03-06-2018, 06:34 PM

No.5 - Life on Mars - Bowie

Bowie, at the time of Hunky Dory's release in 1971, summed up the song as "A sensitive young girl's reaction to the media." In 1997, he added: "I think she finds herself disappointed with reality... that although she's living in the doldrums of reality, she's being told that there's a far greater life somewhere, and she's bitterly disappointed that she doesn't have access to it.

fender
Chatterbox
SE England

05-06-2018, 08:09 PM

No.6 Squeeze - Cool For Cats

"Cool for Cats" was the second single released from the British rock band Squeeze's Cool for Cats album. It featured a rare lead vocal performance from cockney-accented Squeeze lyricist Chris Difford, one of only two occasions he sang lead on a Squeeze single A-side (the other was 1989's "Love Circles"). The song, slightly edited from the album track, peaked at No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart in 1979, making "Cool for Cats" one of the band's biggest hits.

Joolz is looking quite young here....and I always laugh at the girls having a good old bop around.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-06-2018, 08:22 PM

No.6 Squeeze - Cool For Cats

"Cool for Cats" was the second single released from the British rock band Squeeze's Cool for Cats album. It featured a rare lead vocal performance from cockney-accented Squeeze lyricist Chris Difford, one of only two occasions he sang lead on a Squeeze single A-side (the other was 1989's "Love Circles"). The song, slightly edited from the album track, peaked at No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart in 1979, making "Cool for Cats" one of the band's biggest hits.

Joolz is looking quite young here....and I always laugh at the girls having a good old bop around.
Is that really Joolz

I have always liked Squeeze, I thought their lyrics were great. I like Cool for cats although my favourite single is 'Pulling mussels from a shell.'

When I lived in Blackheath, South London, there was a one day music festival on the heath featuring unknown local bands. I think everyone was pleasantly shocked when Squeeze suddenly appeared on stage and played all their old hits. All for free too.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

05-06-2018, 08:24 PM

I like a few of their tracks mate. Quite a unique band. Do you remember "Up The Junction"? Great lyrics in that as well.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top