Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Re: Were you ever into CB radio?

Yes, we loved CB radio in the 80s. We used to go up to Flamborough Head in the evening and often picked up CBers from over the North Sea, ships perhaps too! My handle was Sweet Pea.

We also used to meet up with friends, the men and children would go camping somewhere and keep in touch with the women folk at one of our homes. The following morning we would join them for a fried breakfast. What great memories you’ve revived Ffosse.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:57 PM

I wonder why it died out almost as quickly as it appeared?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:00 PM

The big 10-4 never lived up to expectation.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:19 PM

Aye, I used to be on CB radio and we had our own club where we had regular `eyeballs`. I won't tell you the handle of our location, it would be deemed racist these days but was an accurate description of the area at the time. I was on the new 8.1gHz frequency but a few of the old lags were strictly medium wave which used to cause a lot of problems for TVs and radios in some areas, especially when used with an echo mike. Remember those?

On a good day, we could park at the top of Castle Hill in Huddersfield and reach right across to fellow CB-ers in Sheffield. My `rig` was in my car but could be taken out and used at home using a Starbreaker twig which used to annoy my dad as when used, the TV went off because of the interference.

Good days, sadly gone.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:21 PM

Yes my Husband was well into it, he was Sundance and I was Black Angel. We had a big CB Social Club going in Perth, great times were had by all.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:23 PM

I had to drag some geezer friends away from their base sets, to meet some real birds. Nowt much changes.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:26 PM

I was a big CBer in those days. Back in the 80's it must have been. I had a home base & a portable CB radio. I loved chatting to the lorry drivers who went up & down the main road passed the village, in those days it was a village.

The Truckers couldn't say my name so I got called Eggwhisk, or maybe they did it deliberately, my handle was actually Equus. I met a lot of them too, some even came to my house for coffee. Goodness knows what the neighbours thought.

I had friends on it too & we'd all chat together.

There were some great jokes played too, by other CBers, it was a laugh.

Ffosse, it died out because the Italians had no restrictions in their country on how powerful their rigs were & the skip from Italy was dreadful & wiped out every channel in the end.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 02:41 AM

This was a great thread you started here Ffosse. I enjoyed thinking back to the days when me and my friends were having so much fun on there. We used to talk to the truckers also. It was fun for them when they were on long hauls and away from home.

Mine was in my car, so sometimes I would even go out to the driveway and sit in the car just so I could talk.

Kids nowdays don't know what real fun is. Their whole life revolves around the internet. We had many varieties of interests over the years...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

12-07-2018, 06:35 AM

When my mates were into it, they became British Rednecks, didn't mind just listening to the chat though, bit like some folks on a forum, there has always been "Sandbagging".
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
The summer I turned 16 (1982) my parents bought me a handheld CB radio. Largely, I think, because I had gotten all A's in my O-Grade results and this was their present to me.

It had 40 channels, rechargeable batteries and could communicate with anyone who had a home set-up, one in their car or other portable as long as they weren't more than a few miles away. I used to climb hills whereby a much greater range could be attained.

It was a craze which came from America but was very popular at the time. I sometimes wonder what those who liked CB radio moved on to.

And it was a lot of fun. I would arrange "eyeballs" and meet up with other CB radio users
Hey - Yes, I had one of those - my handle was 'Lady Galadriel' - it was fun.

I wonder if american truckers still use use CB - do you remember the film "Convoy" ?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top