Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 08:37 PM

Need help understanding... Broadband/WiFi please

Specifically the difference between them. My brain wants to understand but is going round in circles

Last night I couldn't get online. The light on the router was 'ON' for WiFi, but 'OFF' for Broadband.

Questions:

1. In the old days, connection was via an Ethernet cable to the box. So, on WiFi routers nowadays, if the WiFi was 'OFF', but the Broadband was 'ON' could one go online using an Ethernet cable, like the old days?

2. Is WiFi used for anything else, other than being online?

3. Is the Wifi there to take away the need for an Ethernet cable?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Re: Need help understanding... Broadband/WiFi please

Yes if there was broadband coming into the house then using the ethernet would get you online.But if the broadband was off then there was no broadband coming into the house probably a fault at the exchange.Even with the wi-fi on it just showed that the wi-fi part was working which would be no use without the actual broadband.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 08:58 PM

Thanks Caricature. So the WiFi doesn't really have any purpose?
I keep hearing about fibre, cables, underground wires/cables - whatever - is 'WiFi' to do with all that?
Andwar
Bristol, UK.
Andwar is male  Andwar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 09:10 PM

This link explains wifi and ethernet better than I could:

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-diff...i-and-Ethernet
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

16-08-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Andwar ->
This link explains wifi and ethernet better than I could:

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-diff...i-and-Ethernet
Perfect Andwar! Thanks chuck
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I keep hearing about fibre, cables, underground wires/cables - whatever - is 'WiFi' to do with all that?
WiFi is a small radio transmitter, usually built into your Router.
People, in the house - or very close, can hook up to it from their PC, mobile phones, or what have you.

Broadband is what comes into your house, usually a cable feeding into the Router from the outside world.The modern cable is usually fibre optic and delivers the fastest speeds. Copper is the name given to the old wiring, usually from a telephone exchange, which is significantly slower.

Once it hits your router, it feeds the Wifi , as above, or you can connect it to your device using what's called an ethernet connection cable (faster than wifi).
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

16-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Thanks Ted. I'm understanding better now.

I hate it when I get puddled and go round in circles trying to get an answer.
You've all got me on the right track!
Thanks all.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Wi-fi is what mobile phones use to connect to the web along with wireless computer,tablets etc in the house.Wi-fi does away with the cables.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

16-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Wi-fi is what mobile phones use to connect to the web along with wireless computer,tablets etc in the house.Wi-fi does away with the cables.
I did think it might be that when I was pondering today.

I'd forgotten about mobiles using WiFi. (I've two mobiles but only one, which I rarely use, connects to the web).

Just thought presumably these 'hot spots' outside where you can connect to the web with tablets, laptops etc, presumably work via WiFi?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 10:35 PM

I bought a wireless printer. PITA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top