Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Re: French Fishermen attack our Boats

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Joe, there are some similarities but the circumstances vastly different as English and Scottish fishermen were fishing LEGALLY here.

The cod wars between Iceland and Britain occurred between 1950’s and 1970’s and happened because British fishermen had always fished in the cod rich waters off Iceland. There were no 200-mile fishing exclusion limits anywhere at that time. Iceland had a 2-mile zone in place.

Iceland started the Cod wars off by making a 12-mile zone which included the rich cod fishing, The spats happened because the British ignored this new zone as they thought it unfair. They even had British naval vessels supporting them. Then Iceland brought in a 50-mile exclusion zone which at the time cut the British fishing fleet’s ability to catch cod to severe cuts. There were many altercations between the Icelandic coast guard and British naval vessels as the coast guard attempted to cut British fishing nets.
The final spat which became quite serious occurred in the early 70’s I believe, when Iceland declared a 200-mile exclusion zone in which British naval vessels accompanied British trawlers inside the zone as Britain said the fishing rights should be decided diplomatically not by warfare on the seas, It was the USA who finally settled it with persuasion to the British to respect the exclusion zone as Iceland threatened to close the locally based American base which protected the Atlantic during the height of the Cold War. Of course, the 200-mile zone became the norm after that.

The decision by Britain to respect the 200-mile Icelandic exclusion zone resulted in devastating losses to ports such as Hull and Grimsby, with 1,500 fishing jobs and thousands of associated shore jobs lost forever. Scottish fishermen suffered very badly too.

On the other hand, Iceland, NOT PART OF THE EU, has thrived ever since, being renowned as one of the largest and wealthiest fisheries in the world!
Thanks for a great post Shrops. You have more patience than me.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

Perhaps if we all used a bit less fish ( I always wonder how much gets wasted ) there!
Maybe it isn't about us Brits eating less fish but more of trying different kinds of fish. We are very much stuck in our fish preferences here and whilst most other countries make the most of their varied catches and have adapted ..we chuck back into the sea.

Walking around a fish market abroad is another world compared to ours
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Maybe it isn't about us Brits eating less fish but more of trying different kinds of fish. We are very much stuck in our fish preferences here and whilst most other countries make the most of their varied catches and have adapted ..we chuck back into the sea.

Walking around a fish market abroad is another world compared to ours
I would agree with you, but apparently the fishermen are now only allowed to bring specified catches back to shore. They are told to throw the rest back....and that came from a comment by a fisherman on TV who was being interviewed!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 12:36 PM

I would agree with you, but apparently the fishermen are now only allowed to bring specified catches back to shore. They are told to throw the rest back....and that came from a comment by a fisherman on TV who was being interviewed!
Is that not due to the sizes of fish and not the different varieties ?

Fish below the following sizes shall be regarded as juveniles:

Example
cod 35cm
haddock 30cm
whiting 27cm
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Only because there is no market for some of the fish they trawl up. Then of course there are the EU quotas.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Is that not due to the sizes of fish and not the different varieties ?

Fish below the following sizes shall be regarded as juveniles:

Example
cod 35cm
haddock 30cm
whiting 27cm
Of course they do have to throw the smaller fish back, but according to the report I heard, they are not allowed to bring in any type of fish they are not authorized to catch. The film showed them sorting through their catch and having to throw a lot of it back.

Supermarkets could help encourage people to try something different, by putting it on offer and selling it with a couple of suitable recipes. I know I would try them & so would others who are interesting in cooking.
People need tempting to try new fish dishes!
solo
UK

29-08-2018, 01:08 PM

authorized to catch. The film showed them sorting through their catch and having to throw a lot of it back.
Found a clip that explains your point. It also explains how our fishermen are selling what they catch to Europe.

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Of course they do have to throw the smaller fish back, but according to the report I heard, they are not allowed to bring in any type of fish they are not authorized to catch. The film showed them sorting through their catch and having to throw a lot of it back.

Supermarkets could help encourage people to try something different, by putting it on offer and selling it with a couple of suitable recipes. I know I would try them & so would others who are interesting in cooking.
People need tempting to try new fish dishes!

Very true, I have taken a particular liking to Basa and Hake, and forever looking for new recipes. They are both really tasty fish. I appreciate that Hake has been popular in Spain for a long time. I have to smile when I recall my little nephew ordering Hake and Chips and ended up with Egg and Chips! (the waiter obviously misunderstood him!)

I used to buy a bag of raw Cod fillets for my two little dogs, frozen with a little butter spread over them and whacked in the microwave with a sheet of kitchen paper over them for 7 minutes and served mashed with brown rice - they loved them. But I now do the same with raw Basa fillets and they devour those too. Much cheaper than Cod fillets.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

29-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Found a clip that explains your point. It also explains how our fishermen are selling what they catch to Europe.

Very interesting Solo! The British are often stuck in their ways about what they will eat, but if we don't buy cod in Europe they would have to find an alternative or do without! Maybe the British fishing industry should work on marketing new kinds of fish & teaching the British housewife how to cook it.
Some people I know say they only like cod, but they never notice if I substitute a different fish in some of my recipes.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Of course we didn't do the same to Iceland some years back. Remember the Cod wars???
good on ya UJ - keep the bastards honest!

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top