Join for free
Page 1651 of 1676 « First < 651 1151 1551 1601 1641 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1661 > Last »
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

30-04-2021, 03:46 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Well that sounds like a fair dinkum aussie story for sure and there she still stands fifty K's south of woop woop! - glad ya got it in the history records of oz. Carnamah come to think about it I think I passed through there about 25 years ago on a round trip with a mate from Bristol UK. we gone up country along the coastal route and then came back to show him some inland country down through those small farm towns in off the coast - yep that was one of them for sure. Nice country when we went through but can get bloody hot and dry.

had a few drinks at the Margaret River Hotel too and stayed down there in wood cabins "in the woods"! nearly shifted house to down there too with the second sheila!

well I'll be blowed ya got me old brain cells zappin away for a minute there! good on ya blue
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:33 PM

Would that be True Blue.
bret
bret is male 

30-04-2021, 11:21 PM

only one sorta blue dinky di true blue - the rest is just a blue haze on the horizon - mind you we've got huge covid bubbles floating around our screens atm trying to frighten the popn into bein good old fellas and rubbin elbows instead of suckin necks if ya know what I mean. Scary advertising "sometimes" works on special occasions - maybe in pandemics? and I know someone is makin a lot of money out of it. sometink like this?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...YQMygFegQIARAj
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2021, 07:12 AM

I knew all them Chemistry Sets and Microscopes for sale in the early 70s to kids would lead to no good.
bret
bret is male 

01-05-2021, 08:02 AM

exactly - inventing diseases that don't really exist!! these so called viruses are invisible to the naked eye and yet can kill you - one drop kick? - now what is the difference between a cold virus and a covid virus - one got small needles and the other large needles? they be insisting we all buy microscopes next to carry around with us to keep on checking body level contamination. We could finish up a world of common and garden chemists? and don't forget the apps - we all need an app or is that a nap?
bret
bret is male 

01-05-2021, 03:06 PM

Decisions

Have you ever wondered about decisions? - the decisions you made years ago and how they really affected your life? One of my first girlfriends during pubescence was an only child who's father came from a long line of foundry owners somewhere in the lower northern regions of UK. She naturally was crazy about me and if I had stuck around I could be retired now living off the profits of the iron foundry - damn should have put my iron in the forge and let it glow!!

Then there was the time I met a dusky maiden from the Caribbean - Trinidad NO - Jamaica - did you? yes I did - but she wanted to rush everything - engagements - holidays to see ma and pa - I was getting rather hot under the Jamaican sun if you know what I mean and so I bowed out rather dishonourably and that was it - no more Jamaica. oh the decisions we make - they change the pathways of our lives dramatically.

then there was the young lady from the upper end of the village - we met in church I believe - her Ma was watching menacingly - They had a large traditional house set in its own grounds and I was terribly impressed with the glass conservatory - I had seen them before but this was NOT on the ground floor but on the upper levels next to the bedrooms - I always imagined it falling off the end of the house somehow. Still Mama wanted her to marry a rich local farmer and so my seeds were never sown!!

and then there was - oh well another time maybe?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2021, 10:28 PM

I remember Smith and Jones on TV Fruity, in the introduction to each episode the narrator says,
“And in all the banks and stages they robbed they never shot anyone”
Pull the other one, who were they trying to kid?

Quote Bret: “Have you ever wondered about decisions? - the decisions you made years ago and how they really affected your life? One of my first girlfriends during pubescence was an only child who's father came from a long line of foundry owners somewhere in the lower northern regions of UK. She naturally was crazy about me and if I had stuck around I could be retired now living off the profits of the iron foundry - damn should have put my iron in the forge and let it glow!!”

“Yes indeed, going at it hammer and tongs might just have landed you the foundry Bret, but it’s probably just as well, why give up your freedom to sweat in a foundry when you can go where you like in such a huge beautiful country, boy you certainly get around, good for you.

Strange you posted that picture of that horrible little covid germ, I had a post ready to submit about germs written before yours come up, but I was so knackered that I fell asleep in the armchair and didn’t wake up till 4am.
Funny how great minds think alike and fools seldom differ ain’t it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

01-05-2021, 10:35 PM

Hammer and Tongs always raises my Hackles for some reason.
bret
bret is male 

01-05-2021, 11:47 PM

that reminds me used to drink at an old inn called the Hammer and Tongs with a hammer and tongs hangin as part of the signage - I would never walk under that sign - superititious bugger is me - I used to walk around it and step off of the pavement into the gutter - bugger me when one night I did that and a bloody cyclist came speedin along and careered right into me - had to be carried in the H&T for a whiskey to bring me around!

I asked the manager if he'd consider takin down the signage - not bloody likely he sez - that's what brings in the passin tourists - well blow me down and cut loose a heifer; a week later the manager was walkin under it in a stiff breeze from wogga wogga when it fell on top of him like a possum out of a bunuyan tree - needed four stitches and had the thing removed. I told him to change the name to "The Possums Lookout"?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Pub signs, now there's many an unusual one of them around.

When I was at college in Swindon, I once had a drink in a pub called the Temporary Sign. Apparently the original was away for repair or repainting or summat.

There used to be a pub called the Nelson, and the pub sign was of the top of yer Man's column, with a little fella giving it a polish. I always liked that sign until it got taken down when the pub became one of those common or garden Muckspreader Inns or one of similar ilk. (Name changed to protect the guilty).
*Fruity presses backs of wrists to forehead with fingers and thumbs splayed outward in the international sign for an Ilk.*

Then there was a lovely pub in the Cotswolds called, The Old House at Home. On one side it had a painting of a City Gent with bowler hat and umbrella and on the other side was the same chap but in a soldier's uniform carrying a rifle.
The pub changed hands and that interesting sign got replaced. Sad was I at that.

Page 1651 of 1676 « First < 651 1151 1551 1601 1641 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1661 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top