Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 05:49 PM

The Power Of Words

I joined this forum a few years ago. My attempts at instigating any form of discussion on Facebook proved worthless: Facebook really isn't suitable for serious debates. So, here I found myself. I hit the ground hard and attempted, as others have done and still do, to make my mark. I made quite a few 'marks' I reckon .

At this time I was drinking quite a lot and out of control quite a lot too as a result but I was still in control of my faculties - most of the time anyway. My posts were aggressive, contentious, downright insulting more often than not and my blood was boiling a lot of the time. Forming objective views was beyond me as I was exhibiting far too much passion. I find now I'm a completely different person but probably a more calculating one - far more I should think , yet a more considerate one too, thankfully.

I find words, phrases, sentences, thoughts fascinating. You can weave all sorts of convoluted ideas and pass them on to others if you know how - all done with simple letters. You have the power to influence the actions of others should you acquire sufficient skills and knowledge. Isn't that exciting?

Pitting your knowledge against others, even on a simple forum such as this, I find a wonderful pastime. You can subdue, challenge, influence others in all sorts of ways but it requires a well stocked arsenal of references to back you up and a brain capable of rapid judgement.

What is the point of this post?

Not quite sure to be honest with you. Just trying to put in to words how I am now as opposed to how I was. Definitely evolved into something other than what I used to be. I get the feeling it is time to put my new skills into action somehow or other .

Have you evolved as of late?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Re: The Power Of Words

I would like to answer "constantly".
I try very hard to avoid rigidity of thought and to always be open to change.

Sometimes it's hard when our views have been formed over decades of genuine research and experience.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I would like to answer "constantly".
I try very hard to avoid rigidity of thought and to always be open to change.

Sometimes it's hard when our views have been formed over decades of genuine research and experience.
You mean it's hard to break away from our 'programming'.
Yes, I thoroughly agree.

During the past few years I have changed in a number of ways and continue to 'grow' (I hope) but there are certain aspects of my make-up which I fear I may never conquer wholly.

A fascinating journey at any rate, albeit ******* difficult at times
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 06:58 PM

I am quite shy and like others do find it hard to write long threads times . I know what I want to say but sometimes come unstuck.

Interesting post though by yourself.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 08:55 PM

Mark you have certainly been on some kind of journey on here. It has been interesting to observe from a number of perspectives.

All along I have felt I could see the 'the man inside' even though the glimpses were brief at times he was there sometimes struggling .

Have you evolved as of late?
I would say I have never stopped evolving, it is what most humans do on the path to oblivion.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 09:15 PM

It's no good trying to have discussions on your own page on FB Mark, you have to join in something like "Daily Politics Show" or a discussion group.
I had to change some folk to "acquaintances" to stop a full scale argument on my page at election time! Difficult to take sides you see!
I've evolved a lot recently, not putting up with other peoples crap mainly
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I would say I have never stopped evolving, it is what most humans do on the path to oblivion.
We can do nothing else but 'evolve' as we age.

The problem is the direction taken
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mark ..... I would say I have never stopped evolving,
it is what most humans do on the path to oblivion.
The first bit - doubtful, given recent resistance to an alternate view.

But the SECOND part .... genuinely Deep and Meaningful. Philosophical even.
It just seems so tragic, so wasteful, that no person on this planet has the same unique combination of knowledge and experience - which has never occurred before and never will again.
A combination which, if somehow salvaged intact, could quite possibly be of real value to humanity.
Instead - oblivion, dust to dust.

It almost makes one wish that the religionists are right - that something worthwhile might survive.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 10:13 AM

I remember having some heated discussions with you on here, MKJ - I don't know how long ago - about a year or so? I enjoyed them, although it is good that you are able to see that you were the things you say.

On the whole, I have certainly not evolved, due to my exposure to over50s forums. Most of the people on them I find are only interested in winning an argument at any cost, not interested in the slightest in learning anything through the exchange of views.

I am disappointed, frankly, in older people since I first joined an over 50s forum well over 2 yrs ago - and I find this one is one of the worst. I very rarely post any more.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Have to say as someone on other end of your rage mark I have toughened up, many don't like that at all but that's the consequence of my being on this forum when you were drinking. Not sure I recognise myself anymore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top