Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 04:30 AM

Re: Hybrid cars

I think it is true to say that diesel cars were never popular here, people liked their V6 or V8 petrol engined family cars.

It is only really the cars like mine ie four door utes that have replaced the "family car" with their 3 litre turbo charged diesels and their 3.5 tonne towing capacity that have awoken people to diesel engines.

That is speaking very generally, for example the Ford Ranger has a choice of a 2.2 or 3.2 turbo charged diesel but you get the idea.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thing is Primus, I love driving, and the further the better. I don't think electric have progressed far enough yet though, and I didn't like the sound of having to replace a £6000 battery every five or six years. If my present car was electric, I'd be on to my second batter by now....

If I was just nipping round town or going to work it might have been a possibility.
Foxy, you don’t have to change batteries every five, six years, most manufacturers warrant their batteries for up to ten years, but after that it doesn’t mean the batteries are done, yes the range may shorten but hopefully by then the charging infrastructure will be better and you can top up when required
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
it would cost £6,000 for a replacement battery for this type of car
They claim that these cars use a newer type of battery (NOT the traditional lead acid type)

Doesn't matter, they are still going to fail at some point, and that's one hell of a replacement cost considering an equivalent lead acid battery on a petrol or diesel car would be about £60
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
but after that it doesn’t mean the batteries are done, yes the range may shorten but hopefully by then the charging infrastructure will be better and you can top up when required
So you buy an all electric car now on the 'hope' that in 5 or 6 years there will be charging stations wherever there's currently a petrol station.

Sorry but I've been 'conned' by these types of 'promises' before. There will never be enough charging stations around during my lifetime so I ain't going to even think about getting an all electric car.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
They claim that these cars use a newer type of battery (NOT the traditional lead acid type)

Doesn't matter, they are still going to fail at some point, and that's one hell of a replacement cost considering an equivalent lead acid battery on a petrol or diesel car would be about £60
I think you may be getting confused over the batteries, electric cars use lithium batteries to power the vehicle , they still have a separate battery to power the cars electrics as a conventional ice car, the batteries shouldn’t fail but just lose their capacity to fully charge thus reducing their range, I think for the moment a hybrid car is the way to go that can use electric only mode for a few miles, then a conventional petrol/ diesel motor for extended journeys
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
There will never be enough charging stations around during my lifetime so I ain't going to even think about getting an all electric car.
Never?
EVS were around a hundred years before IC engines.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 04:11 PM

A few months ago there was a big media splurge about this English inventor guy who had developed an alternative to the lithium batteries now used in cars. His battery was neither expensive (cheap enough to sell in the supermarkets) nor toxic (being made out of every day non-toxic materials) making it easily recyclable. Since then I've heard nada, ziltch, niente about it. I wonder if the big battery manufacturers or vehicle manufacturers had bought his patent from him and closed the technology down?

I've done a brief search on t'internet but can't find anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
A few months ago there was a big media splurge about this English inventor guy who had developed an alternative to the lithium batteries now used in cars. His battery was neither expensive (cheap enough to sell in the supermarkets) nor toxic (being made out of every day non-toxic materials) making it easily recyclable. Since then I've heard nada, ziltch, niente about it. I wonder if the big battery manufacturers or vehicle manufacturers had bought his patent from him and closed the technology down?

I've done a brief search on t'internet but can't find anything.
Of course, he could have just been making unsubstantiated claims. A 'mad inventor'?

If, however, he really did invent something along those lines and big business has covered it up, it is possible that it can be invented again!
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I think you may be getting confused over the batteries, electric cars use lithium batteries to power the vehicle , they still have a separate battery to power the cars electrics as a conventional ice car, the batteries shouldn’t fail but just lose their capacity to fully charge thus reducing their range, I think for the moment a hybrid car is the way to go that can use electric only mode for a few miles, then a conventional petrol/ diesel motor for extended journeys
Have you seen the BMW i models?
Pretty much what you describe.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course, he could have just been making unsubstantiated claims. A 'mad inventor'?

If, however, he really did invent something along those lines and big business has covered it up, it is possible that it can be invented again!
IF it's true and a big corporation bought the rights then they'll have spent £millions tying every single part of the invention up in patents and hidden it away.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top