Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 01:51 AM

Re: Hybrid cars

Originally Posted by reg ->
IF it's true and a big corporation bought the rights then they'll have spent £millions tying every single part of the invention up in patents and hidden it away.
How can you hide patents? The whole point of them is to be public surely?
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How can you hide patents? The whole point of them is to be public surely?
Check out patentable Trade Secrets.
I may be wrong.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 04:06 AM

Check out patentable Trade Secrets.
I may be wrong.
I think you are. Trade secrets are just that and a separate issue, you don't patent them because then they are exposed to public scrutiny. A patent is only enforceable if it is known for obvious reasons.

For example the formula for Coca Cola has never been patented but is a trade secret and jealously guarded.

It is quite legal to reverse engineer a trade secret and reproduce it because it is not patented.

Patents protect the details but trade secrets might protect things like method of production.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 06:25 AM

I think you are. Trade secrets are just that and a separate issue, you don't patent them because then they are exposed to public scrutiny. A patent is only enforceable if it is known for obvious reasons.

For example the formula for Coca Cola has never been patented but is a trade secret and jealously guarded.

It is quite legal to reverse engineer a trade secret and reproduce it because it is not patented.

Patents protect the details but trade secrets might protect things like method of production.
So I was right.

I was wrong
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 04:46 PM

IF it's true and a big corporation bought the rights then they'll have spent £millions tying every single part of the invention up in patents and hidden it away.
Reg the problem with patents is having one only protects one single part of something you've developed. It doesn't take a genius in some convenient East Asian laboratory to find a work around (e.g. "use Screw B in Hole 1" instead of "use Screw A in Hole 1") and, BOOM, all your money spent in patenting has gone up in smoke. Better to buy out the idea and quietly sit on it until either everyone's forgotten about it or you've got a belting world-beating idea that actually works like Trevor Baylis's wind-up radio.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by percy vere ->
reg the problem with patents is having one only protects one single part of something you've developed. It doesn't take a genius in some convenient east asian laboratory to find a work around (e.g. "use screw b in hole 1" instead of "use screw a in hole 1") and, boom, all your money spent in patenting has gone up in smoke. Better to buy out the idea and quietly sit on it until either everyone's forgotten about it or you've got a belting world-beating idea that actually works like trevor baylis's wind-up radio.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Reg the problem with patents is having one only protects one single part of something you've developed.
I doubt that there is any single part in use.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 09:32 PM

I think it is true to say that diesel cars were never popular here, people liked their V6 or V8 petrol engined family cars.

It is only really the cars like mine ie four door utes that have replaced the "family car" with their 3 litre turbo charged diesels and their 3.5 tonne towing capacity that have awoken people to diesel engines.

That is speaking very generally, for example the Ford Ranger has a choice of a 2.2 or 3.2 turbo charged diesel but you get the idea.
Yes, as I mentioned, the torque and pulling power of a diesel is far better than a petrol. Petrol is best for speed I suppose. Also, engines improve, my 1.6 diesel is faster than my previous 2lt petrol.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top