Join for free
Page 88 of 190 « First < 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 188 > Last »
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Cheers Myrtle, once I get going I tend to ramble on a bit....
You can't beat a good ramble
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 10:52 AM

Overcast and blustery at six thirty this morning when I set off in earnest [why do we say that? Who is Earnest anyway?] for Thursday's eight mile struggle. Expecting a poor run I set off very cautiously, still a bit stiff and mechanical with a niggle coming from my left knee. By halfway the knee niggle had disappeared [knees do that sometimes] and I wasn't feeling too bad, I mixed in some faster pace bits and realised it wasn't a bad run after all. The time wasn't too shabby either......

I think I understand why I'm feeling stiff and mechanical sometimes. The large muscles in my lower back and buttocks are still stiffening up after a run, and being as these groups of muscles are responsible for power it would adversely affect running gait.
A bit like a car running on three plugs.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Overcast and blustery at six thirty this morning when I set off in earnest [why do we say that? Who is Earnest anyway?] for Thursday's eight mile struggle. Expecting a poor run I set off very cautiously, still a bit stiff and mechanical with a niggle coming from my left knee. By halfway the knee niggle had disappeared [knees do that sometimes] and I wasn't feeling too bad, I mixed in some faster pace bits and realised it wasn't a bad run after all. The time wasn't too shabby either......

I think I understand why I'm feeling stiff and mechanical sometimes. The large muscles in my lower back and buttocks are still stiffening up after a run, and being as these groups of muscles are responsible for power it would adversely affect running gait.
A bit like a car running on three plugs.....
Get Mrs Foxy to give them a rub
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Get Mrs Foxy to give them a rub
She'd think I was being pervy Twink and hand me the vacuum saying "That'll loosen up your muscles".....I think I might have to enlist the help of a professional...Perhaps one of those Russian girls at the end of the road....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 05:38 AM

She'd think I was being pervy Twink and hand me the vacuum saying "That'll loosen up your muscles".....I think I might have to enlist the help of a professional...Perhaps one of those Russian girls at the end of the road....
Don't worry Foxy, Mups and I will come over and help..... we are qualified as man manipulators
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Thanks Twink that would be lovely, I might have to enlist your services after today's walk.

Another solo one and about ten or twelve miles from Bempton bird sanctuary along the coast path to Bridlington. I usually park at the Coastguard Station at the North end of Brid and catch the bus from Limekiln Lane to Bempton. But first, calling in at my local Tesco for supplies.......Sausage rolls and pork pies, there's nothing like healthy food on a long walk......and sausage rolls and pork pies are nothing like healthy food....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-05-2017, 11:24 AM

Bridlington to Bempton – Friday 5th May 2017

It didn’t go exactly to plan today. I thought I had allowed enough time to drive to Bridlington after first calling in at the local Tesco for a bottle of water and a tasty looking chicken salad sandwich, but the two slow moving tractors I sidled up behind en route stole some valuable time.

The weather looked perfect for walking with not a cloud in the sky as I rolled into the car park , about 13 degrees C and getting warmer all the time. I was trying to make sense of the ticket machine - I lost three quid the last time I was here - when the bus went sailing past with another hour until the next one.

So plan ‘B’ then, Walking to Bempton and catching the bus back. It had been warm in the car and I was quite happy in just a shirt, thin jumper and shorts, but that first mile along the cliff tops with a strong North Easterly in my face required more substantial clothing so after a rummage around in the rucksack I produced a thin fleece, hat and gloves.

With no decent rain for weeks the going was firm and dry, the occasional valley crossed my path, Danes Dyke, South Landing and a couple of smaller ones which required going down the steps at one side and up the steep steps at the other, I was soon warmed up, but soon cooled down when once again facing that keen North Easterly on the exposed bits. A runner passed by, and after passing the time of day he disappeared over the next rise, it was some minutes later that a large brown Labrador came jogging past, and I heard the runner shouting his name but there were too many interesting things for the hound to investigate at the side of the path, so he slowly zig zagged his way into the distance. What a great way to exercise your dog, a part of me wanted to catch him up and run with them, but not today, it’s just a walk.

I was dazzled by the sun reflecting off the bright yellow fields of Oil Seed Rape and then impressed by the magnificent white painted structure of the Flamborough Lighthouse. It was approaching lunch time, but North Landing was stacked out with visitors so I pressed on to Thornwick Bay, where I found a small rock strewn beach nestled between two headlands and at the end of a steep climb down. Not as busy as the beach at Thornwick Bay itself, I think the climb down put people off, so It was here, out of the wind and a high tide sending rollers in one after the other that I despatched the Tesco Chicken Salad Sandwich, and with the beach to myself, I rested back onto a rock and contemplated paradise.

As you leave the enormous sprawling campsite of Thornwick Bay and climb back up onto the cliff top path you are now walking beside some of the tallest cliffs in Britain, it’s the wild life sanctuary of Bempton Cliffs. All manner of sea birds hovered overhead screeching at passerby’s and the closer I got to the visitors centre, the more people I met carrying cameras with lenses the size of the ‘Hubble telescope’ some were seated just watching the action, and others stood in amazement watching the ariel display.
I turned away from the cliffs now and took the paved path to the Visitors Centre, a small gate at the side allowed me to quietly slip on to the road back to Bempton.

I tore the wrapper off a Mars Bar, and as I suckled on its sweet delights I was doing hasty calculations in my head considering what time I thought the bus would arrive at the end of the lane. I was wrong! The lady with the dog informed me that I had just missed one and perhaps the train would be a better proposition. I considered this as I walked with her to the station, and just as we arrived a train turned up, marvellous. In the event, nobody came round for my fare, so I arrived in Bridlington courtesy of Trans Pennine, however, it wasn’t all good news. After passing the car park and almost touching my car, the train travelled on another couple of miles to the station in Bridlington adding another mile or two onto the twelve miles already completed.........
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Doing the coast path from Bridlington.....
Sewerby Hall near the start of my walk...

A runner and his Dog....

A field of Oil Seed Rape...

The Flamborough Lighthouse...

North Landing with the sprawling campsite at Thornwick Bay in the distance...

The secluded beach where I enjoyed the Tesco Chicken Salad Sandwich.....

Having a 'Time Out' beside this statue of an owl on Bempton Cliffs...

Bempton Cliffs....

Hangin' on the wind...

Waiting for the bus that never came....

Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Interesting report Foxy. Good to see the photos too, mostly familiar places to me!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Interesting report Foxy. Good to see the photos too, mostly familiar places to me!
~ ditto ~

Page 88 of 190 « First < 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 188 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top