Join for free
Page 90 of 190 « First < 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 > Last »
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Really interesting read Foxy, great pictures too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Thanks Muchly Myrtle Mags and Val.
Although I didn't feel any serious stiffness after Friday's walk, I did feel some tiredness in my legs this morning as I set out on my usual Sunday morning ten mile run, so I just laid back and went for a steady jog round. Although it felt quite humid the blustery conditions help keep my temperature down and heaps of thick black cloud were rushing across the sky blocking out the sun, which wasn't a bad thing this morning. So I managed to get round and in a not too bad time either.

Mrs Fox has left the building and gone to stay with her Dad, leaving me to fend for myself for a while. Her Dad, who is ninety one this year has taken a turn for the worse.
After his mild stroke last year he has recovered well. Speech almost back to normal, and he has returned to reading and doing crosswords again. About three weeks ago he lost his sight in one eye, Giant Cell something or other. He has been put on loads of Meds and now has lost the will to live. Mrs Fox and myself have had to drive the four miles to his flat on several occasions after he has fell and was unable to get up.

His decline over the last Month has been alarming, he has lost weight through not eating, and his muscles seem unable to cope with even the most simple tasks. Both Mrs Fox and our daughter have spent the best part of their working lives in Nursing and care homes and have made the decision that he needs twenty four hour care. He sits in his chair now and resents the fact that he has become a burden and regularly states that he wants to die.....

At over six feet tall and a prolific walker [It was he who started me venturing out into the great outdoors] and I hate to see him like this. I feel I'm between a rock and a hard place. I am convinced that the twenty or so tablets he has been prescribed daily are the cause of his recent decline. They may or may not be preventing a stroke or Heart Attack and are keeping him alive, but at what cost....The quality of life. If it were me I would bin the lot....But I have to sit on my hands and allow this to happen.....Just had to get that off my chest....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Old age is so cruel isn't it OGF, I agree sometimes medical interventions can be counter productive... Get it off your chest here all you want, at least here you are among pals of a similar generation who understand. I hope your wife copes ok. Not a nice situation for any of you. Chin up
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 12:13 PM

It is so sad Bob, my mum was just the same, coming up to ninety and she regularly said she hoped she could go to sleep and not wake up. This is more or less what happened but the sad part for me was that she died alone.

It's a difficult situation and it's good that you can talk about it. Hope things improve for you all soon.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 01:11 PM

That is so sad Bob, I hope you wife can restore a little happiness into her Dad's life while she is there.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 08:36 PM

So sad about your Father in Law OGF ... I too am a great believer that it's the quality of life that matters not the quantity.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all your kind words of support. I have just left FiL's flat now as he was taken away in an ambulance. Mrs Fox has gone with him to hospital, it was the only way that he would agree to go. After he seemed to deteriorate further today, the family agreed that he should be seen by a professional, so the emergency number was called and within minutes Two ambulances arrived.

His blood sugar was found to be very high and could possibly be the cause of his symptoms. Hopefully all of his meds will be assessed and corrected. I have been more worried for Mrs Fox who has been run ragged throughout last night and today tending to his every need, I suspect that she isn't eating or sleeping either.

At least now some of the weight will be taken off her shoulders....
Thanks for listening.......Or should I say 'reading'.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Foxy I recently had a chest infection, and although my doctors know that I am very good at maintaining good blood sugar levels, none of us were able to reduce them. Infections thrive on high blood sugar, so medications need to be adjusted... not easy when you are dealing with an elderly person!
The high blood sugars lead to further health problems and the hospital may have to resort to insulin injections ( if your FIL doesn't already have them). A few days, of medical people sorting his blood sugar levels, should sort his problems... and hopefully help your wife to relax.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-05-2017, 09:48 PM

Thanks Twink, and you are right about the diabetes connection.

Mrs Fox and I were advised to attend the hospital early this morning as her Dad had taken a turn for the worst. We were not expecting him to last the day out. We have spent the whole day there with him and during this time we had visits from the doctor who explained that the steroid treatment he was receiving for his loss of sight was responsible for the extraordinary rise in his blood sugar. His deterioration seemed to continue throughout the day despite him being intravenously fed with insulin, saline and dextrose, and after an ECG it was found that he had also suffered a Heart Attack.

Unable to convince Mrs Fox to come home where I would cook us some dinner, she elected to stay and continue her vigil. I left for home and didn't expect to find the old gentleman alive when I returned. But what a surprise, the colour had returned to his face, and he seemed a lot more coherent. We finally left the hospital at eight, and hope that his recovery continues.
We'll see what tomorrow holds.....
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 10:02 PM

Hi Bob ... what a dreadful time you, and especially Mrs Fox, are going through ... awful to see a loved one in that situation ... the old saying about creaking gates is very true.

Hugs to you both x

Page 90 of 190 « First < 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top