Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 04:31 PM

New Golf Mk8 omission

I don't think I have ever posted in this section of the forum before, so I hope the regular posters don't mind me asking a simple question here.

We have planned to replace our Golf Mk7 with a Mk8 in March. Generally, we found it an excellent car (as is the Mk7) with the addition of a few improvements worth having.

However, having visited our local outlet for a proper look, we discovered one important (or I think so) omission on the new model.

When we lock our Mk7 Golf, the wing mirrors automatically fold inwards, so as to avoid accidental knocks from passing vehicles. For some reason, this facility has been removed from the Mk8 and the only way to fold them in is by doing so manually from outside the car.

I cannot think of any reason why they have taken this backward step. Neither could the sales rep!

Any suggestions why they'd do this?
Or any general views about the new model?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Re: New Golf Mk8 omission

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't think I have ever posted in this section of the forum before, so I hope the regular posters don't mind me asking a simple question here.

We have planned to replace our Golf Mk7 with a Mk8 in March. Generally, we found it an excellent car (as is the Mk7) with the addition of a few improvements worth having.

However, having visited our local outlet for a proper look, we discovered one important (or I think so) omission on the new model.

When we lock our Mk7 Golf, the wing mirrors automatically fold inwards, so as to avoid accidental knocks from passing vehicles. For some reason, this facility has been removed from the Mk8 and the only way to fold them in is by doing so manually from outside the car.

I cannot think of any reason why they have taken this backward step. Neither could the sales rep!

Any suggestions why they'd do this?
Or any general views about the new model?
Cost saving?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 04:40 PM

It might not feature on the model you are looking at, if buying new you might be able to specify it as an option, probably as part of a pack which will add other stuff as well, have a look on autotrader and see which spec has them..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 04:51 PM

Just had a look
There’s two driver assist packs, one at £785,
and one at £550 both add folding mirrors
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
It might not feature on the model you are looking at, if buying new you might be able to specify it as an option, probably as part of a pack which will add other stuff as well, have a look on autotrader and see which spec has them..
Oh, I did check that. None of the models, not even the all-singing and all-dancing models include it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-08-2020, 05:06 PM

Just had a look
There’s two driver assist packs, one at £785,
and one at £550 both add folding mirrors
Really? I'll have a good look at that. Thanks.

EDIT:

Yes, you are perfectly correct! In fact, there is a third option for £685 in the same section of the brochure, which I'm afraid I failed to notice.

None of them say anything about automatically folding the mirrors when you lock the car, but that's not important if it can be done from inside before we leave the car.

Funny how the sales assistant didn't seem to know about that, but I suppose it's all new and she may not have come across it.

Thanks again. A great relief for us, because our garage is so narrow that we always fold the mirrors in before getting the car out (at least when we pass the door jambs) and putting it away.
Primus1
York

15-08-2020, 05:49 PM

Yes I know what you mean, I’ve had this feature on my last two Fiesta,s, and I wouldn’t buy a car without it, my Puma has it, but I like the feature on the golf that slightly dips the drivers mirror to see the kerb ect better, ( I think both mirrors now do this on the golf) , wait while you get an automatic boot , really handy,

Ps, I think the mirrors would fold when you lock
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 06:12 PM

Yes I know what you mean, I’ve had this feature on my last two Fiesta,s, and I wouldn’t buy a car without it, my Puma has it, but I like the feature on the golf that slightly dips the drivers mirror to see the kerb ect better, ( I think both mirrors now do this on the golf) , wait while you get an automatic boot , really handy,

My Fiesta has the power mirrors option - auto fold-in, manual fold-down with built-in puddle-lights - all very useful .....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 07:06 PM

this adding packs is typical of GermanJ" packs count for nothing come time to sell.
One of the reasons I like Japanses cars you get a cheaper model- a middle of range model and finally top of the range model , So you know EXACTLY what you buying. None of the add this and add that to get what you actually want
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Yes, we have the passenger mirror which is supposed to dip when you reverse, but it has never worked. It doesn't matter, though, because we don't need it.

What on earth is an automatic boot?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top