Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 11:36 PM

Great time for a break

Although this has been partially covered on the post covid thread, we're thinking of getting away to somewhere a bit warmer sometime in Sept/early October.

Should be some cheap deals and, since we're retired, there's no real issue about having to spend a couple of weeks in quarantine when we return.

Also, having finished a recent quarantine due to our daughter being tested positive, I suspect that we've already caught the virus and worked out way through asymptomatically. Ideally, it would be nice if antibody tests were readily available, but we think it's probably worth the risk.

Any thoughts?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 11:44 PM

Re: Great time for a break

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Although this has been partially covered on the post covid thread, we're thinking of getting away to somewhere a bit warmer sometime in Sept/early October.

Should be some cheap deals and, since we're retired, there's no real issue about having to spend a couple of weeks in quarantine when we return.

Also, having finished a recent quarantine due to our daughter being tested positive, I suspect that we've already caught the virus and worked out way through asymptomatically. Ideally, it would be nice if antibody tests were readily available, but we think it's probably worth the risk.

Any thoughts?
Me too! but currently trapped in NSW with the borders still closed. I hope to get away in the next couple of months once spring arrives.

Thinking about heading slowly to Broken Hill but if the Queensland border reopens will head north. Personally I try to avoid the coast and prefer the inland. Would love another trip to Uluru and Kings Canyon but who knows how the borders will be over the next few months?

Whatever happens definitely need to get away. Am driving to the ACT this weekend to see my kids and grandkids, my first trip away since the lockdown.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Me too! but currently trapped in NSW with the borders still closed. I hope to get away in the next couple of months once spring arrives.

Thinking about heading slowly to Broken Hill but if the Queensland border reopens will head north. Personally I try to avoid the coast and prefer the inland. Would love another trip to Uluru and Kings Canyon but who knows how the borders will be over the next few months?

Whatever happens definitely need to get away. Am driving to the ACT this weekend to see my kids and grandkids, my first trip away since the lockdown.
I suspect that although the UK have many fine areas to visit, as you know we are not entirely blessed by consistent warm and dryish weather. My very limited understanding is that Australia is.

Hope you have a great few days with your family.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 05:25 AM

I would go too but it's being confined on an aeroplane for hours with such a large group of people that puts me off...I'm not sure its worth the risk especially for my hubby who isn't in the best of health.

I would look at it like this at the moment ..if one of us is infected how devastating would that be? Some people just shrug it off don't they but others are not so lucky....for us personally I wouldn't risk it right now.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 07:00 AM

The thought of wearing a mask for three hours or more while on the plane would certainly put me off!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 07:53 AM

We have definitely written off any hope of a holiday this year, home or abroad. As Summer says, it’s just not worth risking it this year.

We certainly wouldn’t risk a holiday abroad by air or sea, I think we all learned that lesson with the outbreak of Covid-19 on the cruise ship earlier this year. Being cramped with all those people on an aeroplane for hours would also be a nightmare.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 08:29 AM

I've been looking at the brochure for Bluebird coach trips . I guess a mask would have to be worn which would be uncomfortable but I am tempted to have a few days away in a nice hotel .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
The thought of wearing a mask for three hours or more while on the plane would certainly put me off!!

Me too. I don't think I could do it.

Also, at the moment I wouldn't want to be shut in with a lot of people on a plane, boat, train, or even a coach, though wouldn't mind as much going by car.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 08:54 PM

If you are traveling out of the country, you might want to research entry requirements for your destination. Some are requirements are particularly burdensome.

I hope this works out for you!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I suspect that although the UK have many fine areas to visit, as you know we are not entirely blessed by consistent warm and dryish weather. My very limited understanding is that Australia is.

Hope you have a great few days with your family.
Would that it were so but Australia stretches from near the equator to the roaring forties so has a vast range of climate conditions.

This was almost exactly a year ago in the ACT, I shall be taking all my jumpers and a hot water bottle.

It will be 24' this weekend where I live but nearly 10' cooler in Canberra.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top