Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2020, 01:26 PM

Re: The return of Ratus

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Cats? Never mind cats or dogs. Humans can get it...

We know that, but we don't seem to know if rats in our gardens have it or are indeed carriers of Lepto, just like Badgers & TB not all must have it.
You can't lump them into one group & say they all have it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2020, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce;1972236]Cats? Never mind cats or dogs. Humans can get it...

Yes Bruce, I said the same back in post 12, and we are not routinely vaccinated against it like the animals are.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
We know that, but we don't seem to know if rats in our gardens have it or are indeed carriers of Lepto, just like Badgers & TB not all must have it.
You can't lump them into one group & say they all have it.

I don't see how you could know for sure if any wild rats were carriers, Tiff, not unless you trapped them all and tested which of course, is not practical.

Here is some interesting info on humans getting infected though.
Some people tend to think it is only if you get bitten, but they are very wrong. It's passed in their urine, and that is another reason for wearing gardening gloves really.

https://www.rospa.com/leisure-safety.../Weils-Disease
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 08:27 AM

When l had rats in my garden a few years ago. The pest control man told me it was very rare to get Weil’s disease. He said, the temperature of the rats urine has to be right in order for it to infect you.

In my whole life l have only heard of one person getting Weil’s disease through a cut and she died.

I get rats because l keep chickens but when l had them prancing on the lawn in the daytime, it was because l had a bird station with food/fatballs on it. The pest controller advised l take it down which l did.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
When l had rats in my garden a few years ago. The pest control man told me it was very rare to get Weil’s disease. He said, the temperature of the rats urine has to be right in order for it to infect you.

In my whole life l have only heard of one person getting Weil’s disease through a cut and she died.

I get rats because l keep chickens but when l had them prancing on the lawn in the daytime, it was because l had a bird station with food/fatballs on it. The pest controller advised l take it down which l did.

The pest controller I called, wouldn't do anything, just said the same to me, remove the food source, which I did. Sadly as I do love feeding 'my' birds.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top