Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2020, 07:00 AM

Re: Can I Refuse to Update My Windows PC/Laptop?

Windows/Microsoft updates will eventually use up ALL OF YOUR SPACE. When that happens they will hound you many times per day to "free up space" for their latest update, which, of course. you don't have because windows updates are clogging up your computer.

The average person has no need for all of windows fancy up dates that are intended for 24/7 computer geeks.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2020, 09:24 AM

Not sure updates are for geeks. Maybe even the reverse. They are for those who don't want to be bothered with the ins and outs of looking after the system. There are a lot of people who just want to use the computer and not be bothered with looking after the condition or security of it.

I think part of the purpose of updates is that they attempt to do that for users. Microsoft themselves hope to take over looking after the system by making updates automatic but as we see, this isn't welcomed by everyone. The updates are thought intrusive and forced. The situation will never keep everyone happy.

About disk space. The updates themselves probably overwrite existing files and so perhaps no extra disk space is needed for that. It's the update back-ups that take up disk space, which can be especially relevant for computers with small SSDs. Microsoft saves back-ups in case anyone wants to remove an update. If they didn't, there would be people of other opinions asking why there wasn't a way of removing an update that they have found causes a problem. Again, a situation that will never keep everyone happy.

It is possible to regain disk space by removing those back-ups and other unnecessary files using the provided disk clean-up tool but having to use any tool to look after the computer might be thought geeky I suppose.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2020, 10:25 AM

Got to remember that, in the event of a large update, and possibly even on the smaller ones, the Installation/Registry must be preserved, somewhere, so that all can be restored in the event of trouble.

So, at the start, the Registry will be stopped & some, or all, of Windows, will be cloned. I suspect that they will chose where the clone is parked, depending on the size.

The Windows drive will be checked to ensure space is not a problem.

When it goes back on, in the event of trouble, all of the MS & Other Progs will need to run just as they did before. The Registry knows where they were & what they used at the time.

Once the PC is "stopped" the various code parts can be found & changed, as you would not want to do this while the registry is alive & active.

When that's done, the Registry will be restarted & updated to include whatever changes were made. (the cloned copy would not be touched).The Registry has got to be kept up to date with whatever changes have been made. Any Registry entries for previous apps will have to be corrected so that they are recognised by the revised system.

If any of these activities fail, MS would have to put it all back, probably using the Clone, wherever that was.

MS would call out the error and supply you with an error code to help.

A lot of disk space will be used, during all of this, as repeatedly having to download files would slow it all down too much.

Hence MS have made the rule, already posted, about the minimum drive space you must have to use their systems.

That's my opinion.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top