Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 10:28 PM

We're evolving faster

The experts say human evolution is speeding up now.
Have a read of this:

Quote:

Human evolution is speeding up with our bodies showing notable differences to how they were around a century ago, say scientists.

an Australian research team spotted changes in blood vessels and bones.
They found an artery in the forearm that used to vanish after birth is now increasily common, while people are sprouting more joints in the feet.
Our jaws are also getting smaller and wisdom teeth are disappearing.

Dr. Teghan Lucas, of Flinders JUniversity in Adelaide, said: "Our study shows we're still evolving - faster than at any point in the past 250 years."

Unquote.

Interesting, isn't it. I wonder why things are speeding up?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 10:33 PM

Re: We're evolving faster

We are eating to much crap and don’t do enough exercise ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 10:36 PM

It's the Data.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I hope you were paid for that research, Muddy!
It is probably very true.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Weird though isn' it. I mean about wisdom teeth disapearring and growing extra bones in our feet.
I wonder how humans will be in another hundred years.

I wonder if domestic animals are evolving as fast too?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Weird though isn' it. I mean about wisdom teeth disapearring and growing extra bones in our feet.
I wonder how humans will be in another hundred years.

I wonder if domestic animals are evolving as fast too?
I read somewhere recently that dogs have developed muscles in their eyebrows which allow them to have expressions which made them look cute, these muscles are not present in wolves.

Are these changes you quoted evolutionary though? I read somewhere either in a Richard Dawkins book or a Stephen Jones book that the individuals that became Homo Sapiens were probably indistinguishable from their fellows for thousands of years. Evolution is not a quick process.

Changes such as losing wisdom teeth are not leading to a new specie are they? They are no different to some people being very good swimmers because they have very large feet. There is a name for these changes but I forget what it is but they are not evolutionary.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 06:25 AM

Its easy to account for the proliferation of large arses, too many folks sitting, looking at computer screens.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 08:55 AM

Mups, I'm always amazed on visiting an old house over 100 years old and have to almost bed over to get through the door , people must have been tiny . There wouldn't have been overweight folk either. They were able to cope with freezing British weather in the winters , even into the early part of this century . They were strong people . Now we turn the thermostat up in a second of a shiver . Also I look at new borns and they are plumper and wiser , they come out with their eyes open ! My grandaughter is taller than me at 15 , the kids are strong and healthy. ( I'm waffling)

But yes changes happening and time feels faster .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 09:02 AM

I think there used to be a door tax. People couldn't get furniture through the smaller doors so they had pulleys above windows. Then they brought in a window tax...

I may be wrong.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The experts say human evolution is speeding up now.
Have a read of this:

Quote:

Human evolution is speeding up with our bodies showing notable differences to how they were around a century ago, say scientists.

an Australian research team spotted changes in blood vessels and bones.
They found an artery in the forearm that used to vanish after birth is now increasily common, while people are sprouting more joints in the feet.
Our jaws are also getting smaller and wisdom teeth are disappearing.

Dr. Teghan Lucas, of Flinders JUniversity in Adelaide, said: "Our study shows we're still evolving - faster than at any point in the past 250 years."

Unquote.

Interesting, isn't it. I wonder why things are speeding up?
Or people are just living longer? Or as well as evolving?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top