Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 08:59 PM

Another day out around the Somerset Riviera.

Having driven around the highlands of the county last week (Mendip Hills) I took the family around the lowlands today (The Somerset Levels).

A few millennia ago much of this area was barely above sea level, and what was above it regularly flooded in Winter. When parts of it dried out in the Summer, farmers brought their livestock here to graze until the wet season started again. The county got its name from these Summer-Settlers.

Sadly it was a very grey day, but we still made the best of it.

One of the many drainage rhynes criss-crossing the land.

It hasn't rained for days but it takes a long time for the land to dry out.

A couple of the locals out for a stroll.

One of the local B roads by here.

Just outside the huge metropolis of Westhay stands this commemoration stone ...

to a jellycoptor speed record.

Spookily, this gert big chopper appeared overhead a few minutes later, probably on its way to Yeovilton Airbase.

A young local out for a stroll.

Mum and Dad having tea with the kids.

The neighbour's kids just a bit further down the ditch.

More locals having tea.

Aiming for the hills beyond before head ing home. (I didn't notice the swan's head when I took the photo).

Up on the hill looking back towards the Levels.

Brent Knoll, once an island in the sea, now a local landmark.

As per usual, after that we went home for our tea.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 10:17 PM

Re: Another day out around the Somerset Riviera.

Some lovely pictures there Fruitcake.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 10:40 PM

Interesting photos Fruitcake...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 11:11 PM

Very nice photo's Fruitcake.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:02 AM

I do enjoy your days out, Fruitcake, your photos and commentaries are so cheering in these plague ridding days! Thank you.
Amac
North East of Scotland
Amac is male  Amac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 09:52 AM

Enjoying your photos of the beautiful SW of England from up here in the NE of Scotland, Fruitcake. Didn’t see much of Somerset on our recent trips to Dorset, Devon and Cornwall - only the bits around Frome on the way to Longleat. Looks well worth a visit...
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the comments. We are missing our trips to tea rooms and reclamation yards, so a ride around our beautiful county just to get a change of scenery is the best therapy we can get at the moment to combat isolation. Three of the four of us are in the high risk bracket, so a circular tour and taking our own drinks is all we can manage for the foreseeable future.

I like to know what a photo' is about, where it was taken, what is its context in relation to surroundings, what is its significance, which is why I try to add my own light-hearted narrative. I'm glad it is appreciated.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top