Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 08:47 PM

The Lonely 0ver 65's

How sad to read that six million over 65’s will endure a lonely Christmas, as loved ones have died and family and friends live far away and are too busy to visit.
Daily Express 03/11/2105

Sometimes things get worse in an In affluent society and some people get self-centred as well.
How different it was years ago! Even with very little money available, neighbours would rally round and invite lonely people for Christams lunch. Or take round a nice lunch and glass of Port and a card.

Those days are over as some folk do not see a soul unless they go out.
Maybe to the local shop where the owner always has a kind word and is glad to see them
Also grandchildren are now preoccupied with their Mobiles or Tablets and do not visit very often.

Churches sometimes help, but they do have limited finance and accommodation.

The fact that local Councils have closed many Halls that provided a meal and entertainment does not help either.
They should at least make sure that all older people living alone.especially the disabled. at least get a nice Christmas Lunch.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 08:58 PM

Re: The Lonely 0ver 65's

Some people prefer their own company, even at christmas, but I agree, it is very sad for those that do not wish it that way.

I don't know if I will have any company this year, as I only have my son, and I don't know if he is coming or not this year.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 08:58 PM

Oh,I just feckin hate stuff like this...I'm a 72 Yr old..and yes My Family are scattered all over the place,and My best Friends have died...but the last bloody thing I want is the Church and the do gooders to interfere with My Life and My independence...so all I can say is...BUGGER OFF!! who the hell asked You?...grrrr grrrrr grrrr.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
How sad to read that six million over 65’s will endure a lonely Christmas,
How do they know they will be lonely
No body has asked this over 65 who would prefer to be on her own
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 09:13 PM

The research was done by Age UK

Of course they would not bother anyone who wanted to be alone.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 09:13 PM

Yes, there's nothing wrong with a quiet Christmas doing your own thing. Great ! But if you actually want company, and many do, it's such a shame there aren't many organisations willing or able to help out.

Some people don't see anyone from one week to the next.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Yes, there's nothing wrong with a quiet Christmas doing your own thing. Great ! But if you actually want company, and many do, it's such a shame there aren't many organisations willing or able to help out.

Some people don't see anyone from one week to the next.
Ok,Sometimes I don't see Anyone from one week to the next,,,that doesn't mean I'm a poor wee lonely auld Soul...This is the 21st Century,times have changed...Women & Men do their Own thing now and gawd forbid We should need any kind of organisation to make Us feel 'LESS LONELY'.......Ok...I'm maybe being a bit insensitive...sorry.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
The research was done by Age UK

Of course they would not bother anyone who wanted to be alone.
Phil I guess I am a bit sensitive about the subject having longed to stay at home for Christmas for years then when I finally managed it everyone threw up there hands in horror and said 'You can't be alone for Christmas'

In the end I managed to spend 10 Christmases on duty as a volunteer with an organisation which shut everyone up

Now I am back to square one as I have grandchildren so am not allowed to be on my own all day .
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 09:53 PM

When I was younger I worked in a sheltered housing for the elderly (I am one of the elderly now), and many ladies and gents I asked if they were going out on Christmas day, and most of them would rather stop at home and watch TV with baked beans on toast lol They said they are alone so much, that all the noise really gets on their nerves.
Now I am of that age myself, I can understand what they mean. I am lucky enough, I get to go to one daughter one Christmas and the other daughter the next Christmas, but I would love for them to both go somewhere at Christmas, as I would be quite happy with beans on toast and the TV these days.
Its not bah humbug, it just gets too much noise.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 10:04 PM

It seems that the Government are concerned about loneliness & isolation in old age, and are spending money on various schemes
I hear that £70 million has been allocated to Lancashire alone

Yet they regularly threaten to withdraw or curtail free bus passes. Joined up thinking?!
It doesn't seem to have occurred to the powers that be that if people have bus passes they can largely solve their own loneliness.

There is a scheme called 'Men's Sheds', (look it up in Google) but they are desperate for funding- so where does this money go?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top