Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 04:46 AM

Posers

Hi

I have joined the Gym.

I am determined to get fit again.

Baby steps really, never been heavily muscled, but been very fit.

I have to start from scratch, I am working with 20 kilos at the moment, target is 40 kilos.

I am very, very fast, a genetic anomaly.

It is not going well, too many posers with huge muscles.

I will never be one of them, I just want to be fit again.

I am now in my Sixties, I am not an idiot, never get back, no illusions at all.

I do still want to get fit.

30 K a day with a 40 Kilo backpack.

Not an unreasonable target.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 05:22 AM

Re: Posers

You are in the right place,Floydy the Fit will tell you what to do.
Never been in a gym,I'd rather faff about out in the fresh air.
Good luck.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:10 AM

Good for you Swims...I keep meaning to join one but keep putting it off....good luck with it
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Good for you Swims...I keep meaning to join one but keep putting it off....good luck with it
Hi

The Gym is walking distance and only £5 a week.

It is the posers who are the problem, they make you feel inferior.

They are so condescending, no support at all, more of a joke.

I am in my Sixties, I will never be a body builder with huge muscles.

I just want to get fit again.

They are not helping.

I find this wrong.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:36 AM

Maybe with time and when people get to know you they will offer some support.... good luck
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:23 AM

Good for you Swimmers, its nice to be fit without having big muscles.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:38 AM

Don't let the show offs put you off Swims.
Go steady. Don't forget you're doing this for yourself and a better quality of life not to impress anyone.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:39 AM

These posers are most probably secretly admiring you for even being there Swims. I sure do. Don't let them get to you mate. Good luck to you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The Gym is walking distance and only £5 a week.

It is the posers who are the problem, they make you feel inferior.

They are so condescending, no support at all, more of a joke.

I am in my Sixties, I will never be a body builder with huge muscles.

I just want to get fit again.

They are not helping.

I find this wrong.

Swim, I think you are looking at this wrong, if I may say.

Forget about anyone else for a start.
Concentrate on what you are supposed to be doing.

In all fairness, these muscle men are customers, same as you, so it is not their job to help you.
How would you feel if you tried to copy them and injured yourself?

I presume you have an instructor who is supposed to be showing you the ropes? It is him that should be helping you, not the customers.

Apart from that, you said you have only just joined, right?
The other customers don't know you from Adam.
They are not likely to flock round you and offer assistance when they don't even know if you want their help, are they.
Maybe they don't like to interfere.

Have you spoken to them? Have you asked them to explain anything? It works both ways you know.

My advice would be listen to your instructor, no one else at this stage. He should have your details and know how you should be progressing, that's what he's paid for. And don't expect miracles so soon.

But also talk to people and they will talk to you!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:55 AM

I love the gym and there are no posers that stand out from the crowd. Everyone just gets on with their workout, usually with headphones or earbuds on, but they have the time for a nod and smile as they work out. I'm 64 later this year but there are people in their 70's and 80's that I have chatted to and helped out with the weight machines when they asked me for advice on how to use some of the machines. People can be a bit reserved at first, sometimes, but just give it a chance.

I don't intend to have huge muscles but just want to get my stamina and general fitness increased, and muscle is a nice fringe benefit. Stay with it and all kinds of improvements come with the activity. I am over a heart attack now and have a 44" chest and a 36" waist, have a resting heart rate of just under 60 and I never get out of breath. My blood sugar levels have dropped from 105 to 78 in a few months, too. It's worth the effort and don't bother with how fit other people look or how out of place you might feel in your first few visits. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top