Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 05:22 PM

Re: Only In Brighton

Originally Posted by solo ->
True mike..There is an interesting piece below explaining why it was done and I did not realise that The Samaritans and Mind had been involved in the project !

“We’re constantly being told that we’ve got to be happy all the time,” he says. “We all have faults, make terrible mistakes and are haunted by things like lost love and personal failure. Acknowledging that you have problems worth sharing is still a big taboo in our society.”

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...l-waiting-wall
Not sure Solo, is it taboo in our society, still I like the idea.
At least the messages contain feelings, hurt and passion and I have had my fair few. Rather than taboo, perhaps folk are clinical by nature and cannot express feelings , sometimes I wonder if people can even see or feel them.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Seems to be the trend for people to 'share' everything about themselves and the internet is obviously not enough
Everything is in yer face today and I'm not keen on the idea - I blame Jeremy Kyle
If people do not want the problems of others right in their face, why watch trash soaps?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 05:44 PM

Their inspiration came from the 2012 book Religion for Atheists by Alain de Botton, which introduced the idea of an electronic Wailing Wall for ordinary people's private thoughts to be shared publicly in cities.

There is a time and a place for sharing such thoughts and for me that is not a billboard at a railway station.

Over 5,000 messages have so far been anonymously sent to the board's website by travellers, with the most thought-provoking and honest being relayed in two-minute loops between adverts.
Stark revelations of loneliness, relationship regret, personal failure, sexual desires and forbidden love are common themes in the admissions.
People often 'make confessions' then feel foolish they did so later. This can add to their sense of loneliness and depression. I don't think these kind of messages really serve any useful purpose.
Some who are in a similar siltation may identify with them but that could have a negative effect too.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is a time and a place for sharing such thoughts and for me that is not a billboard at a railway station.

People often 'make confessions' then feel foolish they did so later. This can add to their sense of loneliness and depression. I don't think these kind of messages really serve any useful purpose.
Some who are in a similar siltation may identify with them but that could have a negative effect too.

My views on this are coloured by potential suicide jumpers and as you say Meg you never know just what tips people. I would imagine that this was taken into consideration and that the benefits outweighed the potential dangers.

Mike, people who jump in front of a train are expressing their feelings !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 05:59 PM

DOE - Don't know why people watch soaps or J Kyle or worse still appear on it
Only know neither of the above are for me
dukeofearl
south coast uk

26-09-2015, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
My views on this are coloured by potential suicide jumpers and as you say Meg you never know just what tips people. I would imagine that this was taken into consideration and that the benefits outweighed the potential dangers.

Mike, people who jump in front of a train are expressing their feelings !
So are the millions who use the trains during peak times but it makes zero difference.
Three cheers for Brighton for breaking the trend, perhaps it is a ploy to make commuter passengers think some others may be worse off than they are, poor sods.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top