Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Oldies Travelling Boldly

Have you travelled more in your Senior years than you did before !

Is it that we have more time, more options open to us or are braver than we used to be

(I wont mention wealthier, in case the government reads this)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Re: Oldies Travelling Boldly

Really admire people travelling around, they've done the hard work and now seeing the sights to behold - I would if I could, but rely on the great pictures the members share now
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 10:21 AM

I think it's true to say we take more holidays than we used to simply because we have more time and more spare cash. There's no point in saving when you're in you're eighties !
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 10:42 AM

I've done quite a bit in the last year's , always on a budget though.

I've never holidayed alone though , I don't have the courage , I do admire those who do .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 11:17 AM

I have travelled a lot less having become scared of driving since I retired.
I feel safe at home in my own little territory and have no desire to travel these days
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 11:39 AM

I really celebrated taking early retirement - handed in my notice, claimed all the holidays/lieu days due to me - cleared off to India for 6 weeks - came back and had a wonderful leaving party - and shook the dust of hospital life off my feet forever.

It was my first long haul flight - and it was magical!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 11:48 AM

I travel more since I retired. Why, well I have time to do it now.
I am not worried about leaving the kids. I have someone to look
after my babies the cats. So why not.

I have gone on some of my ancestry trips alone. I always
have someone talking to me so I never feel alone.
I do travel to France and back alone but I do have my son
and Grandkids are the other end when I land.
I like Liverpool and all its tourist bits they have.
Been in the Cavern a few times, done the Ferry across the Mersey.

Been to Carlisle to find the ancestors haunts. Being a creature
of a gypsy wandering type I like travelling and feel deprived
if I don't.

I blame my wandering on my Dad as he was away in the second
WW for 6 years and I was the first one born after the war.
Mind you I love it so don't mind.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have travelled a lot less having become scared of driving since I retired.
I feel safe at home in my own little territory and have no desire to travel these days
I'm getting more nervous driving too Meg.

The standard of driving generally is so poor now and although I only do 25 miles per day to and from work almost every day now there's some idiot tailgating me or trying to overtake in the most stupid places you could imagine; someone overtook me in Woburn Park yesterday with deer all around - and it's a 30mph zone!

Let's get this straight, I am not a slow driver.

I'm a driver who is careful and mindful of others and I think I am pretty safe compared to the foot-to-the-floor looney I was when I was young but these days you can't do anything about the nutters jamming on the brakes on an A road to let some tosser out of a minor junction any more than you can stop the smart-arses texting or on their mobiles at the wheel or huge lorries thundering down country lanes at 50+!

It's all getting so stressful and bloody dangerous!

I had to laugh at the FCO's advice on driving in Cyprus - they said the standard of driving was poor!

We had more motorists stopping to let us cross than we EVER get in England and it's the same in Spain. stevmk2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 12:19 PM

Hi

I love my travel, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam are favourites, well away from the tourist bits, posh backpacking really.

Hong Kong and Dubai I also enjoy, normally travel alone, but meet some lovely oldies doing the same wherever I go.

I am doing my first ever Ryanair later this month, off to Poland for a week, doing Auschwitz, another one ticked off the bucket list.

I don't mind driving abroad, always felt safe doing so, with the exception of Bangkok, a scary place to drive, and Paris, another place full of idiots.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

... and Paris, another place full of idiots.
This is very true !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top