Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Re: Oldies Travelling Boldly

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I like travelling and feel deprived
if I don't.
Same here Bowie. When I first lit out to travel, friends and family were either appalled or envious. There were places I wanted to go..so I simply went. Not having to consider any politics it was all so easy then and I do believe it was the best time for travelling compared to today.

I don't think I would be so happy today letting a young daughter go off the way I did
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 11:14 PM

We didn't start taking overseas holidays until our children had grown up and left home. Our first introduction to holidays abroad was when our daughter and SIL asked us if we would like to go to Orlando with them - we thoroughly enjoyed it and caught the travel bug . We have visited some some great countries and seen many different cultures and tasted different cuisine. We celebrated the new millenium by having a lovely holiday in a beach hotel in Barbados, an amazing experience.

Unfortunately I think our days of gallivanting abroad have come to an end due to my husband's health but we certainly made the most of our twilight years. We are now content to holiday in the UK rather than battling through airports again
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 12:01 AM

I've had many holidays abroad over the years without issues, always looked forward to them then developed a fear of flying or should I say dropping from the sky!

If I'd never read the news or watched tv to discover there was a plane crash or a hijack then things may have been different but now I don't want to chance it, too many accidents and crazed passengers and the occasional mad pilot have put paid to my overseas trips for sure!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 03:34 AM

We've travelled more since we retired. We did have quite a few trips while we were working but doing even more now. Living in Australia means if you want to travel overseas you have to do the long haul flights but we've got used to them. If we lived in the UK I think I'd be off somewhere all the time!

We're lucky enough to have enough money to do it and we'll keep going while we can. I love travelling and hope I can do it for a lot longer.

In a fortnight we're off on a 8-day cruise to the South Pacific. We've done one before - it's a special music cruise with lots of well known artists. Then in February we're doing a14-day cruise to New Zealand and we'll be coming back to the UK for July and August.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've done quite a bit in the last year's , always on a budget though.

I've never holidayed alone though , I don't have the courage , I do admire those who do .

Pluck up your courage and book a short coach tour holiday as a tester susan.

Along with the holiday there are usually organised small trips included or you could explore on your own once you find your feet. People on trips are friendly and whilst some prefer to be alone others will chat with you. I am one of those that does not mind either way but I never attach myself to others and like to give them their space as they too are on holiday. If I am specifically asked to join someone I may do so.

Normally there a few that get together in the evenings for the social side of the trip.

These type of trips are great for gaining courage and to get you travelling again.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 12:21 PM

We donīt travel much at all these days, over the years weīve travelled to many countries of the world, not always the places popular with tourists, the last few years however Mr Clumsy doesnīt want to travel, heīs quite happy staying home working on his "projects" and keeping himself busy. I manage to get away for a few days now and then but usually come back to find Mr Clumsy has had an accident of some kind, Iīve returned to a broken ankle, electric drill through the hand, head split open, you name it, so for me to go anywhere requires a lot of forward planning and organisation with friends to keep an eye on things. I donīt mind travelling alone though and have done so on more than a few occasions.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 08:17 AM

Yes, I travel more now I'm retired. Not having to worry about getting back to work helps, also not having to worry about parents.

There are often people 90+ on the same holidays. I'd thought I'd stop going abroad when I reached 70!
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 11:30 AM

When my husband was still alive we traveled every year somewhere, we had a favorites of course but we open to new places. Since he died earlier this year I have been to Crete with my granddaughter and for family reasons I have made to trips to Australia on my own. Not overly sure I like traveling on my own but now I have had to do my next holiday I will go alone, just need to find a destination

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top