Join for free
Page 147 of 370 « First < 47 97 137 145 146 147 148 149 157 197 247 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 09:52 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Thanks Ruthio, good to hear you enjoyed getting out and about, I'll make a runner of you yet.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 02:03 AM

Ruthio! Nice to see you around again, and with another long walk accomplished! I am sure the time flies with good company. It's funny how "what works" is so different for all of us. One of the appeals of running is to have some rare solitary time. I've never been able to run with company, but I would sure join you in a nice long walk if I was in your fitness group. Good for all of you!

OGF, I wish there was something we could do to get you over this slump. Injury plus more on your plate than a teenager at a buffet! Ooo, but after that cruise, should we even mention the word, "buffet"? .

Seriously though, I understand your frustration, but there is one of the things that leaves me forever in your corner. Despite the piriformis syndrome, despite the weather, despite the extra weight, despite weddings...and kitchens...and ibuprofen...you set a goal and you made it happen. No one is a better model for a full lifetime of fitness than you, so I hope you see this as a temporary setback. Nice job, OGF.

Here is a hug and a little nudge in the direction in your physician's phone number....

Fun running day! I am still having to (seemingly) drive my daughter three time zones away to her college classes, so after making that epic journey and back, we couldn't wait to get outdoors. With summer running attire on, laces tied, and running watches set, we were off to the trails. After a reasonably decent run at a reasonably decent pace, I was so endorphin happy and so blissed out, now that she is healthy, I announced, "Why don't we get you behind the wheel!"

She is very conscientious and did a superb job outside of giving me a couple of rounds of whiplash and a near miss with a light pole. It was good fun, but I have to admit that by the end of her little spin down some quiet country roads, we both needed a nice relaxing run......

Enjoy your day off, Floydy, and the rest of you enjoy the day on. Where are are our swimmers?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 05:59 PM

Bob - Please don't get downhearted buddy, we all enjoy pour food once in a while. If it's because you feel guilty - like I do sometimes about my beer intake! - to mention it on this thread, don't worry about it mate, it's called "enjoying life". You have the mindset to keep yourself involved in exercising, so you will no doubt shed those (probably invisible) pounds when you are properly fit and well enough to continue with your running. Jeez man, it wasn't too long ago that you supplied that photo of yourself on the beach emerging from that water with a flat pack slimmer than most people's bookcases! You certainly put me to shame in that department Bob. You're doing just fine, believe me matey

Suzie - It's fantastic that you're now teaching your daughter to drive herself - what age is she by the way? - and that will take some pressure off yourself to travel those long, long distances to her university. Is there any way she can relocate to a closer campus? How does it work in the States?
Whatever, you are both enjoying some quality time together on your jogging. Like mother, like daughter (or is it the other way around?...). All credit to her on making a wonderful recovery from her illness. The only way is up!
You get the sunny 'cool' smilies, me and Bob only get the yellow ones

And Ruthio - You're loving your walks out aren't you? What's great is that you are meeting others who are like-minded and this sort of thing can always lead to friendships. Keep it going, sweetheart

My post coming up next
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 06:05 PM

My first prototype ‘strength’ session of my new programme went very well today. All I had in place were twelve exercises, a starting weight for each and I took it from there, taking my time with low, slow reps and multiple sets. I also have a fairly strict number of reps formula of 12/8/5/3, with perhaps a high rep finish.

At least I now have some idea of how to fine tune the routine which I will have in place for next week but to be honest there isn’t too much to tweak because I’ll be adding weight as I go along at the time. Here’s my first session…

Friday, 27 Apr 18:
Strength (upper body):

DB press:
8x24, 8x24, 8x26, 8x26, 7x28
*You may notice that on ‘reps’ days I use the two 20 or 22kg dumbbells for this exercise, doing around 12 reps for a couple of sets, increasing the weight only 2kg for a final set. Here it’s about gaining power (this exercise is mainly for the shoulders and triceps), so I began at 24kg and increased the weight from there.
I’ll be hitting 30kg next week, and maybe 32kg for the final set.

Smith flat bench press:
8x50, 8x60, 3x70, 3x70, 3x75
20x40 high reps
*Heavier than I’ve gone for some time, it’s good to test my strength again.

Incline chest press:
8x50, 5x70, 3x80

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
8x50, 5x60, 5x70

Barbell curl, standing:
8x30, 8x30, 8x30, 8x35, 6x40
*Biceps showing signs of increased size now, hence this surprising weight today.
It’s very important when curling a bar standing up to keep your posture as upright as possible to watch the lower back. I see inexperienced guys lifting weights they obviously cannot manage and waving around like something blowing in the wind! If they are doing this to their spine, the weight is obviously too heavy for them. You do not build muscle that quickly, it takes years of gradual training, adding very small amounts each time. They will learn the hard way through injuries as I did!

There were a trio of young students watching me today silently doing these curls, and one of them picked up the 30kg bar when I put it back on the rack to try the exercise out (obviously the first time they had done this), and the first one was really struggling. I had to interrupt him and say he would hurt himself and it’s best to start on a lower weight. I picked a 15kg bar and guided him with it as he lifted, making sure he kept straight with his torso. He managed four reps and the others followed suit. They wanted to go really heavy but I said that wouldn’t benefit them.
I was lifting the 35kg bar next and they were watching me in some kind of awe, talking to my biceps pumping up! One of them said “how do you get biceps like that?” and I explained that I’d been doing this for years and it takes time but you will get there. Another one was getting cocky by now and said “tense it up, let’s see it!” So I did and his jaw dropped, pretty awestruck. I went on to pick up the 40kg bar and they exclaimed “how heavy is he going to go with this?!”
We’ll see how they fare. I’m happy to help anyone out on the road to bodybuilding if they are interested and do things properly.

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
8x33, 8x43, 5x53, 3x58
25x23 high reps
*It’s a heck of a long time since I curled 58kg on a bar, so this routine is paying off but it’s certainly not easy. Knowing the daft lad that I am I’ll want the 60kg next time which would be very close to a personal best of 62.5kg I lifted about 20 years ago when I was in top form! Wish I could stop myself but I can’t!!

Barbell forearm reverse curls:
12x15, 12x15, 12x15
*With this exercise it’s just a matter of holding the bar with hands over the top rather than underneath to curl. This develops the forearms.

Single DB press, flat bench:
25x50, 25x50
*A favourite of mine. Heaviest dumbbell in the rack holding with two hands interlocked underneath the inner top part of the weight and simply pushing up like a bench press.

Tricep extensions:
12x50, 8x65, 8x75, 6x80
*On my “reps days” I limit the weight to 50kg, here it was a max of 80kg which is not far off the full stack.

Machine bicep curls:
12x30, 8x45, 5x50

Bicep pumps:
40x10kg high reps

Tricep pumps:
60x15
*These two exercises are a terrific finish to a workout and will be done on every session from now on.

1hr. 30 mins.

I had some cardio pencilled into my routine, but to be perfectly honest I don’t need to do any. My work keeps me very active and the high reps in my four programmes per week ensures I get plenty of light work, so the boring stuff like cardio will not happen. No sweat about it!

I don't know how this will come out, but this is a copy of my template I use to record my activities whilst I'm training. Today's figures are annotated, with the rest of the programme ready for the next sessions:

Thanks for reading
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-04-2018, 06:12 PM

^ Bit small that pic isn't it? But you get the idea!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 10:28 PM

That's some lifting Floydy, if we've one thing in common it's the dedication and the years of experience in our chosen activities. I know I like to rant on.......but I'm not too concerned yet, although this is the longest layoff I've had to endure in my forty years of running. Not even a Heart Attack took this long to get back out on the road.

On the subject of journals, one of the good points about keeping a log is to look back and see what kind of buildup produced the most successful performance on an event. Alternatively, you can look back and see where you went wrong when injury strikes. It's all there in black and white.

If there is one thing I've learned about myself concerning my running over the years, and that is; Speed is not my friend.... Previous attempts at increasing the speed that I can run have all ended the same way, with breakdown and injury. I can maintain a steady pace for great distances with no ill effects, but once I inject speed work into my running I'm doomed.

So it was to this end that I studied my log prior to my recent injury and it turned up an interesting anomaly... I have posted a snapshot of my running log just before I suffered the breakdown of my Piriformis Muscle. I have highlighted in red the interesting comments I made on the few runs prior to breakdown.....

Entries highlighted in yellow denote the fastest time achieved on that course for that year. So as can be seen, the outing on the fourth of February was indeed a personal best for this year.
It was at the end of the next run on the sixth of February when breakdown occurred....
The run highlighted in purple was a 'No Run' due to injury...Although my forecast of a couple of weeks of rest before returning to running was somewhat optimistic....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 04:34 PM

]These recordings are great! I have some regrets about not having been so disciplined perusing your notes, and I can see that you both have benefitted from looking back to look for patterns, establish routines, and tweak your plans. My records are all via Garmin Connect, and when I'm back at my computer I'll dig up a sample to underwhelm you all .

While Sunday is normally recovery day, I am switching today with plans to have a few friends over to celebrate a retirement (not mine ) and take advantage of a perfect day - light winds, comfortable temps with unusually pretty water. The sourdough is in the oven, the wine is chilling, the beach chairs are out there in the sand somewhere, and the paddle boards and kayaks are ready to go. You all don't me well, there is invariably some disaster when I entertain that becomes the basis for stories the next time around. So, I am hanging on to my hat and ready for something to happen at my expense . Come on over!

Now that I have derailed the thread and hijacked this excellent concept of recording your workout data, I can't help but wonder whether OGF or Floydy, will convert all of this into a story or book? You could. Not everyone is as fit as you two over 50 and you both set great examples.

From your lazy American friend, have a nice afternoon your way!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Bob - I do understand about your plight mate, it's bad enough having the odd strain which puts you out of action for a week or two but when you're looking at whether or not you'll ever be able to continue exercising in the same way as before, then it must be a heartbreaking scenario.
All I can say mate is just do what you can do without over-exertion.
It's not nice for us as our sorts are competitive types who don't like to give in but a little is enough sometimes. When I had my knee trouble which came on suddenly last year it was a hell of a blow. From leg pressing over 400kgs to less than half that was almost a suicidal factor with me! Would I ever life again? Would I even be able to climb the stairs or run for a bus again? It was horrible. I persevered and did a little exercise at a time and now my niggles are relatively few...but it's that ugly caution that has to remain at the back of my mind. Always and forever.
Just do what you can and don't be too disenchanted matey and good luck with it.

Surfermom - A retirement function today...that makes two of us! I'm out tonight for my friend's wife's 'do', seeing a live band at the pub as well so we both have something to look forward to. Hope mine is as good as yours will certainly be.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

This was unexpected: Two sessions in one.
A training session had to take place today straight after a very intensive workout yesterday, for reasons beyond my control.
I was hoping to have a rest day today, but tonight I have this retirement function to attend which will be no doubt be a ‘no holds barred’ feast of food, drink and entertainment, so I didn’t want to risk missing a second legs session in two weeks. So that was performed today.

My scheduled next session for reps was due to take place on Monday but I have now brought that forward too, and what better way to really have a sado-masochistic afternoon than to do that immediately prior to my legs session?! So that was carried out too. Monday is now a day of rest because I have a haircut booked so there would be no time for the gym afterwards – not that I have much hair to chop off these days, but because it would then be getting on time-wise and I hate to rush a session clock watching.

Tuesday is school run for me, so that’s a planned day off anyway which leaves Wednesday as my next proposed gym session. But I can’t. I am meeting up with my sister for a coffee and a chat, so Wednesday’s session will be postponed until Thursday with my next ‘strength’ session to follow on Friday. Following all this? Don’t worry, it will all sort itself out and what it means is that I’m not actually missing any planned sessions, just swapping everything around a touch! It happens and we’ll get there in the end!

So here we are with today’s ‘substituted’ double session. No more nattering, on with the gory details:

Saturday, 28 Apr 18: Upper body reps (Part 1) & Legs:

Lat pulldown, underarm close ‘bicep’ grip:
20x40, 15x40, 12x50

Seated row:
15x41, 15x41, 15x47

DB press:
12x22, 12x22, 8x24

Tricep extensions:
20x40, 20x40, 12x50

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
20x28, 15x28, 12x33

Ab crunch:
50x35

Bicep pumps:
40x10kg high reps

Tricep pumps:
60x15

That was my upper body session, all well and good. This was for the legs:

Adductor:
25x60, 20x60

Abductor:
20x60, 20x60

I don’t normally do the ab/aductor exercises first but I just could not get onto the incline press today. Sod’s law, but every time I finished an exercise, somebody else had taken it. No matter, I made up for it with a sled press thrash blast instead, after the ham curls.

Seated ham curls:
25x40, 25x40, 15x50, 40x25

Sled press:
100x100 high reps.

55 mins. Done!

And that concludes my new weekly routine. It worked very well despite having to move the days around. It was all completed and I’m feeling fit, strong and better defined without the bulkiness – which was the original plan.

Thanks for reading and have a great evening
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-04-2018, 05:56 PM

I was just going to call round on you Floydy and try and get a flight to catch Surfermom's do....But seeing as you've already made other plans, we'll have to postpone it....
Maybe next time.....

Spent a hard day working on the kitchen yesterday climbing, bending, twisting and lifting. Boxes full of broken ceramic tiles are a bitch to lift. So it was no surprise that my back was wrecked last night....

So it was with some surprise that it felt a lot better this morning after a nights rest.
Fortunately my next scheduled run is set for tomorrow morning, so it will be 'Shorts at Dawn' and hope for the best......

A day of rest today with Mrs Fox bending my ear.....Oh for a quiet life living on my own...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-04-2018, 09:25 PM

How did your run go, Bob?
How was the party, Susie?

Page 147 of 370 « First < 47 97 137 145 146 147 148 149 157 197 247 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top