Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 09:39 AM

Re: Olive oil

Originally Posted by CindyM ->
Drizzle it over tomatoes and mozzarella..... delicious!
...and torn basil
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...and torn basil
Oh yes
watsonwillam
Australia
watsonwillam is male 

27-11-2018, 07:48 AM

I use Cape Schanck Olive for cooking, It's very healthy
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by watsonwillam ->
I use Cape Schanck Olive for cooking, It's very healthy
That seems a bad idea TBH. It's an Extra Virgin Olive Oil so its Smoke Point is around 190 deg. Cooking will likely take it beyond that smoke point and thus create carcinogenic compounds. Best used neat for salad dressing etc. Avocado Oil, Rice Bran Oil etc for cooking.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Do you use it and what for?

I've got a bottle languishing in the cupboard somewhere but I don't use it much other than to grease the odd pan and pour a tablespoonful on the chips I cook in my acrifry.
I only use it for cooking especially on the BBQ. I decant it into a spray bottle to apply it - much better than globbing it on. It comes out more of a stream rather than a spray because of its viscosity.

It smokes at a much lower temperature than vegetable oils so I tend to use one of those non stick canola sprays while the barbie heats up and don't use the Olive Oil until I am actually cooking. I think it makes the meat taste nicer than veggie oil.

BTW I use a solid plate barbie so despised of purists but I much prefer them to the grill type. So that does make a difference.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 07:47 AM

Two drops in each ear for two weeks once every eight months in preparation for an ear syringe.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 08:50 AM

I love olive oil. I have non-flavoured oil for cooking but also have bottles of chilli, basil, lemon and garlic flavoured ones which I drizzle onto proper crusty breads for lunch some days. It's great on sour dough thick crust bread. I hated the stuff when I was a child, my mum who was Italian, put it onto salads which I thought was gross - now I'm a full convert.

I was assured by my sister who married a Greek, that Greek was the finest, the darker green the better, so when I buy unflavoured oil I try to get that.
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 07:54 PM

I only use extra virgin olive oil for cooking, even if frying eggs, although I probably shouldn't.
I also use them on smashed new potatoes with seasalt and black pepper.
It's also nice in an impromptu marinade.
(I did use it once about 20 years ago in place of the eardrops the dr gave me...instant unblocked ears )
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cache ->
I only use extra virgin olive oil for cooking, even if frying eggs, although I probably shouldn't.
Yep you definitely shouldn't cook with extra virgin olive oil.

See earlier posts in this thread regarding smoke points.

Cooking with it may create carcinogenic compounds.

Also worth people noting that a lot of Olive Oil is actually cut with regular vegetable oil to boost profit. Illegal of course but it's rife.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes I use it a lot. It’s used to cook with and to make vinegarettes for salads, plus for pasta dishes.
I also use coconut oil and avocado oil
Sometimes use it on my hair but prefer coconut oil.
My dear wife sometimes puts coconut oil on the dog's food to improve his coat.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top