Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Female armed forces changes.

Woman can now apply for any position in the British armed forces including the elite SAS and SBS, as long as standards remain high then why not.

But the armed forces hierarchy keep lots if issues to themselves particularly females on board ships where there has been, let's say, relationship difficulties whilst at sea.

I wonder if standards if fitness and strength, as required by infantry when they have to yomp many miles across unpleasant countryside as they had to do in the Falklands, up to the same levels or will they be eroded to accommodate woman?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 08:26 PM

Re: Female armed forces changes.

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Woman can now apply for any position in the British armed forces including the elite SAS and SBS, as long as standards remain high then why not.

But the armed forces hierarchy keep lots if issues to themselves particularly females on board ships where there has been, let's say, relationship difficulties whilst at sea.

I wonder if standards if fitness and strength, as required by infantry when they have to yomp many miles across unpleasant countryside as they had to do in the Falklands, up to the same levels or will they be eroded to accommodate woman?
As long as a woman can make the grade why not?
But .. I'd think in actual combat situations a woman could prove to be a liability.
(Apologies to all muscular women who might refute this or be offended.)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 10:04 PM

I'm unsure about this. I want women to have equality obviously but we are physically different and will the men not feel they have to look out for the women more than other men ? I may be very wrong but rape is often used in wars as a weapon now too and a woman would be more vulnerable IMO
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:15 AM

**Off topic posts and posts commenting on Moderating removed.
If you have any comments to make on the Moderating of the site please post them in the Feeback section.
Please stick to the topic.

Thank you.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:50 AM

My one single issue with any slip in standards is this - You need a certain amount of equipment to do a job and the job needs to be done at a certain time so any member of the team who slows the team down or can't carry an adequate load puts a burden on the team and compromises the safety of those on their team, the others around them and those they are supporting. It makes no difference whether you're a man or woman, if you can't do the same as the rest of your team you're a liability and liability cost lives in the combat end of the military.

One example is from the Falklands where D Sqn SAS mounted a diversionary attack at Goose Green where 40 men had to simulate the firepower of a whole Battalion of around 400 men to prevent enemy reinforcements from stopping 3 Para's attack, meaning each man had to carry in excess of 100lb of weapons and extra ammo and had to be in position to support 3 Para's attack at a certain time. Had there been people in the SAS unable to carry the required amount, or unable to be in position in time, then extra UK forces would have died and its possible the battle could have been lost - Thats the level of "this is serious ****" we're talking about, and there is absolutely no room for any "lets reduce the test" when lives literally are in the balance. At least that's what you would think.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:01 AM

The trouble with equality is when they set figures, thats what they've done here they would have been better to allow it to happen organically, not force it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 07:16 AM

I don't see a problem with encouraging women to join the elite forces or any position in the armed forces, as long as they are competent and as able to do the job as well as men in the same role.

How many actually get through the preliminary interviews, tests and combat set ups is another matter.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 07:26 AM

An army marches on its stomach, and is probably better off without other distractions.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Fraggle
You need a certain amount of equipment to do a job and the job needs to be done at a certain time so any member of the team who slows the team down or can't carry an adequate load puts a burden on the team and compromises the safety of those on their team, the others around them and those they are supporting. It makes no difference whether you're a man or woman, if you can't do the same as the rest of your team you're a liability and liability cost lives in the combat end of the military.
This is true however if we are talking SAS/SBS, whatever the sex of the recruit if they are not capable of meeting the rigorous standards of the preliminary training they won't get through.
Anyone who gets through will have earned their place.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-10-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I don't see a problem with encouraging women to join the elite forces or any position in the armed forces, as long as they are competent and as able to do the job as well as men in the same role.

How many actually get through the preliminary interviews, tests and combat set ups is another matter.
Encouraging isn't the problem setting targets is imo as I said allow it to happen organically.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top