Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 05:35 AM

Cleaning Up After Hurricane Michael

I had a request about the cleanup after Hurricane Michael here in Florida. The last photo was a before and after satellite photo buy the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration. We learned quickly that if the roof held, the house held, regardless of age.

Most of the people who still have standing homes (around 40%) finally have electricity. Some still don't have water/sewer.

It was good, hard, bug-biting work, but I felt like we were barely making a dent. It will continue for months.

My friends' house was situated directly on the beach (below). Only the foundation was left.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 06:38 AM

Re: Cleaning Up After Hurricane Michael

It all looks like a thankless task, Surfermom. For most of us over this side of the pond, quite unimaginable. Like a third world country in fact.
But you're all mucking in together and that shows remarkable unity and camaraderie.
My thoughts go out to all those poor people who have lost their homes and possessions. Such a shame. Hang in there
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 09:08 AM

There are no words are there . So sorry . I just can't Immagine it . X
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 09:20 AM

my condolence too SM - but scientists have been warning us for a long time of the hazards of living too close to the sea and on eroding coasts - not worth the risk
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Those are truly grim pictures Surfermom

I hope your friends are coping.

An observation though. These "houses" look like they are built of paper and wood, structurally hugely vulnerable. Doesn't anyone build solid buildings with stone and bricks there?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 12:49 PM

That's terrible Surfermom, I can't imagine how those folks are feeling, I can only compare how I would feel if it happened to me and my family.
Some of those people have lost everything, all of their personal belongings, photos, and records, with nothing left except what they stand up in. It's like their previous history has come to an abrupt end and lost forever, everything must be started all over again....Heartbreaking!
Their one saving in grace, is that there are people like you around Surfermom, to help them try to put their lives back together...Good job Girl....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 01:02 PM

Terrible scenes, SM.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 02:42 PM

Awful scenes but it does make me hopeful that you are banding together to help each other.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 02:52 PM

So much destruction Surfermom, it makes us realise how lucky we are in the UK.

How on earth does one rebuild their life after that.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 03:52 PM

We have plenty of brick down here, but for a house to survive a hurricane, it's all about installing inexpensive roof clips. One of the reasons our place does well in the big storms is that pilings driven down to the bedrock are integrated into the building. It also has a flexible design that, like a young tree, allows it to give and sway a little - not unlike earthquake design. We bought it for it's engineering more than anything else.

The houses that were constructed after a more rigid building code was enforced did fairly well - except those who lived in the path of the eye where sustained winds topped 175 mph.

If you live here, you know the vulnerability, and ensure to the hilt to have any hope of coming out a major hurricane unscathed. Almost everyone evacuated and took valuable belongings. Afterwards, water, humidity and mold are the biggest damage issues. The second we can get back onto the properties, the first priority is drying things out.

To help mitigate water damage, the federal government has a blue roof program in which heavy blue tarps are installed on damaged but not totaled homes. While these kinds of federal programs are argued as being an entitlement for the middle class, it reduces insurance claims by the hundreds of millions.

As is the case with most disasters, the people who couldn't or wouldn't buy insurance typically live in less well-built homes, and they are in dire straits. Fortunately the state, county, community and nation have come together to help them.

The other problem right now is trying to find housing close enough for people to remain employed and work on recovery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top