Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 02:45 PM

car sat nav update

Just received a new SD memory card which is for my car built inSat Nav system.
The previous one that came with the car was dated 2013.
When I asked Nissan for a new card they quoted around £190 which was a stupid amount. So went on line to ebay and did a search .
Took a bit of finding to get the right SD memory card version and the from date 2018. Anyway found a company and just got the card a few minutes ago and tested it . it works with all the latest info and at a cost of just under £50. What a difference in price for the same thing, talk about ripoff
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Re: car sat nav update

Well done RS. that's a bargain. An update for mine is also around £200 and comes in disc form. I have to say though that despite being twelve years out of date, I have not had many problems.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 06:39 PM

have a look on that auction site, that is where i found my update SD card so I recon you will find an update disc as well

I used the old SD card as a reference to get the right updated one one. your car manual should also help
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
have a look on that auction site, that is where i found my update SD card so I recon you will find an update disc as well

I used the old SD card as a reference to get the right updated one one. your car manual should also help
Will do. Thanks.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-12-2018, 11:19 PM

LD sent PM were I got mine from
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 02:18 AM

My son bought a second-hand Mazda a few months ago. His Christmas present list includes a Sat Nav update and following the link he gave me it appears that to keep his Sat Nav up to date the cost is £55 PER YEAR!!! This is literally highway robbery!!

On a slightly different note: I was given a TomTom in 2009........it was great and allowed me the independence to drive wherever I wanted and TomTom would direct me! In about 2012 or 2013, it was obvious the TomTom needed updating......so I paid the price..........an online download......... which totally failed. Eventually found that TomTom can no longer be updated, but I can buy a new one for £180....!!!

Such aggressive marketing............I hate it!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 05:13 AM

The latest Tom Toms have lifetime free maps of the world (I wonder who's lifetime?) My Tom Tom updates the maps every three months and minor changes like speed cameras every week via wifi.

When I came to the UK a few years ago I had to pay for the UK map, now I just download it free. On my recent holiday I downloaded and used the maps for Thailand and Malaysia - though they might have included all SE Asia I can't remember.

My kids have cars with built in Sat Nav that they never use - they prefer the portable ones like Tom Tom or Garmin which they reckon are better and with free updates. They say the built in ones are slower too but I have no personal experience of that.

I wonder why you would pay 200pounds for an update when you can buy a sat nav for half that?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-12-2018, 07:29 AM

good point Bruce, the incar sat nav I have is also linked into the car system as well, ie phone -cameras (5) and other car info .
below is just some of the functions which tom tom don't have

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
LD sent PM were I got mine from
Yes, thanks RS. I need to find out what versuion mine is. it's inbuilt but I need to check on the make etc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-12-2018, 04:02 PM

I like my built in sat Nav. It's old but I like the map view rather than the road view. Map view shows all the escape routes if the road is blocked. I am sue there are many advantages to the modern ones but I an quite happy with mine. My only gripe is that in the winter, the disc gets a bit damp, so I have to remove it and dry it most mornings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top