Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Third Party Only

My motor insurance is up for renewal by January the Seventh. The premium for Compressive Cover now comes to £1,096.00! That seems pretty steep to me. I only drive small distances these days. My typical journey is three quarters of a mile. (I shall be 88 years old in April.) I am wondering about reducing my cover to the legal minimum which is Third Party Only. The full cost won’t break the bank but is it a sensible way to use my money?

Does anybody have any suggestions to make? Clearly any decision I make is my own responsibility and I wouldn’t blame anyone who had advised me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 11:59 AM

Re: Third Party Only

Gosh that's a lot ! Mines under £250 and I have protected no claims and all the bells and whistles. My husbands is just over £150. Poor Nathan as a new driver gets pounded though his is nearly £4000 we try to chip in for him as he does drive us around a fair bit when he has time. Really nice to be chauffeured and he carries my bags and parcels, cheap at the price
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:02 PM

Have you tried getting other quotes Mr Magoo?
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:49 PM

I forgot to mention that my car is an old banger. I bought it second hand in 2004.

I hadn't thought about getting another quote. I should mention that I live in London and that the car is parked on the road.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 01:24 PM

Morning Mr Magoo I suggest you go to one of the price comparison sites such as https://www.gocompare.com/ they will compare your quote with other companies and you can then select the one you feel is best for you.

I would be wary reducing your cover but that's just me.....

Good Luck!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Gosh that's a lot ! Mines under £250 and I have protected no claims and all the bells and whistles. My husbands is just over £150. Poor Nathan as a new driver gets pounded though his is nearly £4000 we try to chip in for him as he does drive us around a fair bit when he has time. Really nice to be chauffeured and he carries my bags and parcels, cheap at the price
Crikey Julie , Nathan's car insurance cost has shocked me . Why is it so high . I'm stunned .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Crikey Julie , Nathan's car insurance cost has shocked me . Why is it so high . I'm stunned .
Young man only been driving 18 months, many young people have huge insurance bills on their cars that's why so many are driving illegally with no insurance IMO
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Young man only been driving 18 months, many young people have huge insurance bills on their cars that's why so many are driving illegally with no insurance IMO
What car does he drive Julie?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Morning Mr Magoo I suggest you go to one of the price comparison sites such as https://www.gocompare.com/ they will compare your quote with other companies and you can then select the one you feel is best for you.

Good Luck!
I agree with Summer.
Mr Magoo
London

19-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->

Good Luck!
Thank you summer - I have just saved myself something like £400! It is really easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top