Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:54 AM

Re: All new cars to have speed limiters from 2022

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm also supposing that it would use sat-nav technology to know the speed limit of the bit of road you're travelling on and limit the speed accordingly.
..... and, if it detects manual override, it could, automatically, send a report (with 4-way cam coverage?) to the police .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:58 AM

I can't imagine why you need a speed limiter on UK roads. It was rare that you could even achieve the speed limit except in the middle of the night, the cars I rented couldn't maintain their speed going up hills anyway and the motorways seem to come to a halt randomly for no apparent reason.

Seems a totally redundant piece of equipment.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
..... and, if it detects manual override, it could, automatically, send a report (with 4-way cam coverage?) to the police .....
Ah yes, I was just trying to work out what the police would do if all the fines stopped.... but that's it isn't it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Personally I hate the idea of speed limiters - I have one on my car but it is always turned off. I agree that the best speed limiter is the right foot but I suppose the foot needs to be linked to a brain that can judge the best speed for the conditions.

The sort of problems I see is everyone travelling at say 60mph but the car on the outside lane needs to get off at the next junction. Obviously all the lorries are nose to tail which means there are no spaces so unless they let you in, then you would need to break the speed limit to get past them all.

The other problem is that quite often, the best way out of an accident is acceleration, not braking.

I do agree with TessA however that driving to the speed limit is sometimes difficult when you get people behind you that think it doesn't apply to them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can't imagine why you need a speed limiter on UK roads. It was rare that you could even achieve the speed limit except in the middle of the night, the cars I rented couldn't maintain their speed going up hills anyway and the motorways seem to come to a halt randomly for no apparent reason.

Seems a totally redundant piece of equipment.
Not all parts of the UK are as you say. Where I live, and many other places too, is close to the A1(M), a four-lane both north and south motorway. When I use it my cruise control is set to 70mph and in the middle of the day I am often overtaken by vehicles in lane three or four going at well over 100mph I reckon.

Also, and quite often too, these motorists are being followed by a fully signed police car with the 'blue and two's' going! Another, and unknown to many motorists, is an unidentifiable, plain maroon Skoda estate car that can also be seen following or stopping the unaware speeding motorist. Now who would have thought it – that colour plain Skoda and an estate car at that! The only blue lights you will see on that are those in the front grille and viewed in your rearview mirror if you are speeding and they have caught you!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:54 PM

This is bad news for Mr M .
He often goes over the limit .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not all parts of the UK are as you say. Where I live, and many other places too, is close to the A1(M), a four-lane both north and south motorway. When I use it my cruise control is set to 70mph and in the middle of the day I am often overtaken by vehicles in lane three or four going at well over 100mph I reckon.

Also, and quite often too, these motorists are being followed by a fully signed police car with the 'blue and two's' going! Another, and unknown to many motorists, is an unidentified, plain maroon Skoda estate car that can also be seen following or stopping the unaware speeding motorist. Now who would have thought it – that colour plain Skoda and an estate car at that! The only blue lights you will see on that is in the rearview mirror if you are speeding and they have caught you!
That really is below the belt.

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That really is below the belt.

Definitely! It also goes against what a lot of motorists believe about Skoda. The latest Skoda models are based on VW cars so I guess lurking beneath that 'plain cover' could be the same engine as in the VW Golf GTI and most motorists know the reputation that has!

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...UK-price-specs
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 01:40 PM

I only caught part of this item on the news

But I thought it said it was a proposal in the EU and that it had to be ratified by all leaders well that will never happen

Also here in Spain you very rarely see the traffic cops they have very few speed cameras and everybody speeds even lorries governed to 80KPH go past you at over 100 and the speed limit is 80 on most duel carriageways you will still see people on their mobiles even though it carries a fine

I must admit to quicking but like most towns and cities in the UK the traffic is that bad that you very rarely get to speed apart from motorways so putting a governor on the engine might work but there are so many old cars that unless you make them change it is going to take a hell of a long time and by then we will be on self drive cars
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
God help the convoy of older cars stuck behind a new one with a speed limiter on it while on their way to work in a morning....
Not good for the bloke( l'm assuming its a bloke), in fronts ego
OGF.

Best regards, Donkeyman.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top