Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:52 PM

Re: Horse dies in the National

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't doubt that most racing staff love their charges .
I just think we make horses do things that are not natural for them and put their lives at risk .
We also race ( flat) racehorses too young .
There is no good reason whatsoever to race a horse a two yeas old.
These horses are nearly always damaged and if their dont won their life future is bleak.

I agree, as I said, the grooms and other staff probably do love them. It's the owners who only want them to make money out of that I don't like.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's lovely Roxy, yours sound much loved animals.
There are not many Clydesdales about, are there?

At least yours don't have to race their hearts out for greedy, money making owners.
No they don't have to race, but they do love a good gallop along the beach in the summer evenings.
There's a load of them up in Scotland.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:57 PM

I agree, as I said, the grooms and other staff probably do love them. It's the owners who only want them to make money out of that I don't like.
I think it's more the social cache Mups that goes with racing .
Most of these owners are mega rich anyway .
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 08:00 PM

Your idea of the average owner is significantly at variance wth my experience. Most owners do not make money from their horses, indeed most do not expect to, and treat it as a fortunate bonus if they have a good win.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 08:37 PM

I agree but the whole industry of horse racing is based on winning .
The owners don't generally need the money but the rest of the industry does .
So trainers train horses that are too young why ?
To save a years costs ?
Horses that run as two years old are basically babies .
It cruel .
Their bones are not even set they are still growing .
Jockeys need to win races for their living and young horses are urged to run far faster than they would as a young horse run .
This is why the ' wastage ' in the thoroughbred racing industry is so large .
Many horses are bred not all run fast .
Some go onto other disciplines but often they are damaged.
Moreover racehorses have very little education they are trained to run and accept a jockey on their backs .
An uneducated othree year old thoroughbred is not everyone's cup of tea and moreover maybe damaged .
Many end up as pet food
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 04:00 PM

"Your idea of the average owner is significantly at variance wth my experience. Most owners do not make money from their horses, indeed most do not expect to, and treat it as a fortunate bonus if they have a good win."

I'm pleased to see you agree with this statement of mine Maddy, Previously you said, "It's the owners who only want them to make money out of that I don't like."

I disagree with most you have written, take for example your comment about 2 year old horses, basically you claim they are being abused with no regard for their health and well being.

I have known many owners and trainers of racehorses, I have yet to meet any who willingly spend a great deal of money breeding or buying a horse, and then deliberately and knowingly set out to damage that horse before it has even had a chance to earn the success and money you claim they are seeking. I'm sorry your arguments just don't hold water.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
"Your idea of the average owner is significantly at variance wth my experience. Most owners do not make money from their horses, indeed most do not expect to, and treat it as a fortunate bonus if they have a good win."

I'm pleased to see you agree with this statement of mine Maddy, Previously you said, "It's the owners who only want them to make money out of that I don't like."

I disagree with most you have written, take for example your comment about 2 year old horses, basically you claim they are being abused with no regard for their health and well being.

I have known many owners and trainers of racehorses, I have yet to meet any who willingly spend a great deal of money breeding or buying a horse, and then deliberately and knowingly set out to damage that horse before it has even had a chance to earn the success and money you claim they are seeking. I'm sorry your arguments just don't hold water.

Popped back to carry on arguing Boxer Boy?

Don't blame Muddy for the hi-lighted statement above, because it was me who said that - not her.

I have also said all I want to say on this subject, else it trawls on and on and on.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

28-04-2019, 12:49 PM

Boxer Boy I can imagine your experience of racehorse owners .
Because I too know race horse owners seriously rich ones.
They can be expansive and generous especially when entertaining on race days .

This does not mean they know very much about horses some do some dont .

The wastage in the throughbred racing is huge .
Out of a thousand horses perhaps as little as 40 make it to race .Some go into training and have no ability ( even though they have good blood lines ) others break down in training usually from lameness or respiratory problems .
Horses were not meant to spend 23 out of 24 confined to a box with the dust etc that comes from horse bedding .
Tendons are easily strained with the force needed to gallop.
Horses also get what is called sore shins which is a common ailment among young througbred -young bones in this case the cannon bones ( those below the knee )taking a lot of strain because of the stress of high impact training .
These horses may if they are lucky go on to another career but it's rare .
A young thoroughbred is not educated it is trained only to tolerate a jockey ( a strong capable rider ) and to gallop.
The average horse rider will not have the time or skill to train it especially if it has health problems .
Far easier to buy a horse that has not raced and has some degree of education .
So many young thoroughbred are produced at a cost of sometimes hundreds of thousand of pounds end up as kitty Kat.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top