Join for free
Page 33 of 40 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 08:22 PM

Re: Flexible extension???

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
And then to think your HoC has only half of the power the europarliament has. But then again, at european level is where the really important decisions for the UK are made. Your own HoC hasn't made any decision of importance lately. You should thank god for the EU.

European union dilutes any sovereign state.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Here is a wonderful example of democracy in the EU courtesy of the unelected Martin Selmayr ... here feeling the full force of the MEP's trying to get rid of him.

A great example of the voting power that Parliament has ...

Read on ...

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-...-oust-selmayr/
It it the role of the EU Parliament to hire and fire appointed Commissioners?

The EU Commission are akin to our Civil Service who are servants of the Crown. Whilst Civil servants report to Ministers, Ministers may not dismiss civil servants. Civil servants are employed by their departments and are disciplined and dismissed by other civil servants - and if necessary by the permanent civil servant head of the department, the "Permanent Secretary". Similarly theUK Parliament Cannot appoint or dismiss a Civil Servant.

It appears that at least the EU Parliament can vote to express their displeasure whereas it seems doubtful our Parliament can

However the role of Parliaments, both EU and UK is primarily to debate and vote on law not hire and fire people
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 05:47 AM

Hi

Get real Folks.

Brexit will never be a success.

May has sold us down the line.

We are just rich pickings for others.

It should not have been this way.

A great opportunity destroyed.

I am fed up with the whole thing.

Sold down the line by a complete incompetent Control Freak., Theresa May

Beaten by an aged drunkard lout, Juncker.

We are now prey.

I find this so, so wrong.

I still have one Pension to sort out.

Once I have and it cannot be taken back, I will let rip big time.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Get real Folks.

Brexit will never be a success.

May has sold us down the line.

We are just rich pickings for others.

It should not have been this way.

A great opportunity destroyed.

I am fed up with the whole thing.

Sold down the line by a complete incompetent Control Freak., Theresa May

Beaten by an aged drunkard lout, Juncker.

We are now prey.

I find this so, so wrong.

I still have one Pension to sort out.

Once I have and it cannot be taken back, I will let rip big time.

Brexit could be a success if the Remainers weren't calling the shots and setting the agenda.

We have been rich pickings for others ever since 1997 when Labour became the Gov't. It's been downhill ever since.

No-one is interested in your fantasy financial situation!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
It it the role of the EU Parliament to hire and fire appointed Commissioners?

The EU Commission are akin to our Civil Service who are servants of the Crown. Whilst Civil servants report to Ministers, Ministers may not dismiss civil servants. Civil servants are employed by their departments and are disciplined and dismissed by other civil servants - and if necessary by the permanent civil servant head of the department, the "Permanent Secretary". Similarly theUK Parliament Cannot appoint or dismiss a Civil Servant.

It appears that at least the EU Parliament can vote to express their displeasure whereas it seems doubtful our Parliament can

However the role of Parliaments, both EU and UK is primarily to debate and vote on law not hire and fire people

They try and fail.

I think it was a few years ago that they tried to get rid of the commission completely due to the level of corruption and they ignored parliament . Nobody can get rid of the commissioners and they are not elected.

Isn't democracy wonderful in the EU
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Brexit could be a success if the Remainers weren't calling the shots and setting the agenda.

We have been rich pickings for others ever since 1997 when Labour became the Gov't. It's been downhill ever since.

No-one is interested in your fantasy financial situation!
I agree. Perhaps with the right PM and a government interested in the benefit to the country and not only themselves, the country can once again be a success. We have been through worse.

That, in turn, depends upon the good sense of the voters. Unfortunately, there are many enfranchised people who ought to know better. Still, it's their future.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 10:16 AM

They try and fail.

I think it was a few years ago that they tried to get rid of the commission completely due to the level of corruption and they ignored parliament . Nobody can get rid of the commissioners and they are not elected.

Exactly why I refer to them as dictators.

Just like Hitler.

EU member countries must be mad if they can't see it.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

26-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly why I refer to them as dictators.

Just like Hitler.

EU member countries must be mad if they can't see it.
They are waking up to it thanks to Brexit. Populist parties are on the rise all over the EU and they are getting stronger every day as they watch the unelected failed ex-communists wreck any chance of a Brexit deal with the UK - it's them getting sold out, not the unelected masters in Brussels.

It will be Italy next.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:35 PM

They try and fail.

As I’ve said before, the EU isn’t perfect but it’s Commission is more transparent and accountable to its Parliament than our Civil Service is to our Parliament

If you want to discuss unelected people in power then you should look to our own government with members of the House of Lords being appointed as Ministers and even as Cabinet members. And, although not customary, anyone can theoretically be appointed as a Minister

The “undemocratic EU” sound byte has been debunked many times over the last few years but there are many who are still taken in by it
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
As I’ve said before, the EU isn’t perfect but it’s Commission is more transparent and accountable to its Parliament than our Civil Service is to our Parliament

If you want to discuss unelected people in power then you should look to our own government with members of the House of Lords being appointed as Ministers and even as Cabinet members. And, although not customary, anyone can theoretically be appointed as a Minister

The “undemocratic EU” sound byte has been debunked many times over the last few years but there are many who are still taken in by it
Thanx for suffering the brexit pains, to show other countries the EU is worth living for.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8888126.html

Page 33 of 40 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top