Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 10:15 PM

Re: Wasps!

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Every year I have them in my roof space. Course every year I have the boiler serviced and guess where the flue is?

I used to get someone in to zap the wasps before the boiler service, so whoever comes can go up there safely to check the flue. Then I realised they never actually go to the flue to check it - they just stand looking up from the ladder into the loft hatch and shine their torch at it.

I can't go up there (it's a phobia ) so have never actually seen all the nests. But the surveyor took pictures for me and there are loads.
Strange that pesta wasps don’t usually build nest where there are already old nests there...
peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 10:27 PM

I like 'em all. If any come into the house I will put my hand slowly in front of it and eventually they will walk onto it. Then it's a case of carrying it outside and putting it on a flower.
Peri.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Strange that pesta wasps don’t usually build nest where there are already old nests there...

Dunno Primus.
The surveyor put all the house pictures on a CD, including the roof space... if I can find it, I'll show you the nests

Edited:
Just Googled and found this:

'Do wasps return to the same site?

Wasps do not generally return to the same place year after year. However, some roofs are favoured for their position and habitat. Some people say to us "we get a wasp nest every year". If you appear to get a wasp nest every year, take a look at your roof, is it exposed to the sun all day? Wasps love warm locations.
Does your roof have plenty of gaps for wasps to gain entry?
Is there plenty of old wood available near your home (fence panels, garden sheds) for the wasps to use as a nest-building material? Food supply and local water supply will also be a factor'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, you killed it?

One of God's creatures. Tut tut.
No I didn't kill it JBR, I whacked it with the long fluffy duster then shook the duster out of the landing window.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No I didn't kill it JBR, I whacked it with the long fluffy duster then shook the duster out of the landing window.
Oh dear! Even worse!

You maimed it!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 11:46 PM

I never kill if I can help it - but I do not like wasps in the house. Evict them as soon as I catch them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 03:38 AM

Hi

No sign of wasps yet, but a huge hornet in the conservatory.

I do not like hornets.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 08:08 AM

We had a wasps nest in the roof years ago. That's nature I thought, they aren't doing me any harm and I left the nest alone. As time went on there were wasps everywhere in and around the house. In the end, the nest had to be destroyed. A shame but the wasps had become just too invasive.

We had a hornet in the bedroom yesterday. Mrs mart only told me after she'd opened the window to let it out. Very brave of her!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 08:22 AM

I know they must serve a purpose but what is it? I don't kill any creatures if I can help it but wasps just seem so unnecessary....I'm like Mrs Mart I try get them to leave politely .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by peripheral ->
I like 'em all. If any come into the house I will put my hand slowly in front of it and eventually they will walk onto it. Then it's a case of carrying it outside and putting it on a flower.
Peri.
You are braver than me, I don't think I could do that.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top