Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 09:40 PM

Re: Wasps!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
A bit like football hooligans then!

Hah. Yes, a definite similarity JBR.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Wasp grubs make excellent fishing bait.
Yes swims they do, many years ago I used to work with someone who would poison the nest to kill off the adults to use the grubs for bait, I think he used cyanide or arsenic, or something, can’t do that nowadays I wouldn’t think
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes swims they do, many years ago I used to work with someone who would poison the nest to kill off the adults to use the grubs for bait, I think he used cyanide or arsenic, or something, can’t do that nowadays I wouldn’t think

So if someone poisoned the nest, how come the grubs didn't die too?

Imagine using poisoned grubs for bait, then eating the fish that had just ate arsenic.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So if someone poisoned the nest, how come the grubs didn't die too?

Imagine using poisoned grubs for bait, then eating the fish that had just ate arsenic.
I think it was in very small quantities
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Actually if you are very careful and the bumble bee (they are the little fat ones with stripey jumpers) is very busy they will allow you to stroke them... very sweet creature's unlike wasps who enjoy stinging for no reason.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually if you are very careful and the bumble bee (they are the little fat ones with stripey jumpers) is very busy they will allow you to stroke them... very sweet creature's unlike wasps who enjoy stinging for no reason.
I have done that many times Summer but move slowly and BEE very gentle. If they are bizzy working on a flower when I stroke them they will often raise just one leg, or is it a paw? to prevent me getting too close. I always have to tell my youngest Grandkids not to " Try this at home"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I have to say I have never tried that although I can see why you would want to interact. I once had a bee's nest in a tree, not sure what they were but they were black & white fluffy little things. They reminded me of my black & white cat so I was quite happy to work amongst them in the garden and they seemed to accept me plodding around.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 07:51 PM

My husband lights wasp nests on fire
But then again, he gets stung a lot too

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top