Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2010, 01:30 AM

Veteran

I attended a church luncheon this afternoon that is held every second Thursday of the month. I also attended last month and got a chance to meet some of the regulars. I've been carrying my camera because there are indeed some very interesting faces in the crowd. One such person, Tom, sat right next to me and gave me a chance to chat. He's a Vietnam war veteran injured severely bu Agent Orange. He's on full disability benefits, confined to a wheelchair the rest of his life and on oxygen.

Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2010, 09:41 AM

Re: Veteran

Aw bless him. He has come thru' the mill, like all the other brave soldiers.

You have certainly captured his face, which tells a million stories, Bob.

Thank you for sharing.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Nice shot Bob
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2010, 06:15 PM

I`ll make no political comment but that war was one of the first where soldiers coming home were often villified.

In the course of doing my PhD I got to read a lot of journals including The American Journal of Psychiatry. Just around the late 70s they were starting to realise not only the effects of chemical agents but also what is now known as post traumatic stress disorder

Imagine going away for a cause your country told you was just-only to be spat on when you come home.

Things hopefully have moved on and no soldier who could not cope ,if only for a few minutes, no longer gets `shot at dawn`
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2010, 08:43 PM

"Imagine going away for a cause your country told you was just-only to be spat on when you come home."

Been there, done that Old Git. There were no yellow ribbons waiting for us when we got home.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Lovely pic Bob....full credit to him-life can't have been easy at times-bless him....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top