Join for free
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 04:17 AM

dahlia tubers ??

I just love these flowers =so I purchased some pkts while out shopping - but can you tell me what is the best month to plant them - thank you ,,,,,
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 10:13 AM

Re: dahlia tubers ??

Maddy, when you say you bought some packets, are you meaning packets of seed dahlias for summer bedding, or the Dahlia tubers?

Far too early to start tubers off yet, and when you do, start them off in pots in your shed or greenhouse first. They must be kept frost-free.

Have a read here, this is good info and will tell you all you need to know.

https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/...lia_tubers.htm
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 10:08 AM

thank u mups for that will look ...I got tubers .. so yes I will put them in pots now ready ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Maddy ->
thank u mups for that will look ...I got tubers .. so yes I will put them in pots now ready ..

I think you will find it's best not to do it until March time, but we already have a thread on Dahlias. Take a look:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=54184

You need Rehab (the person, not the place ), he is our resident champion Dahlia grower on here.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:37 PM

You rang?
Still a bit early to start off dahlias, I normally kick off in March.

With new tubers I feel them over, making sure they feel fleshy and firm. (Behave Mups) Soak in water for a couple of hours if they feel flaccid and dry.
Using a general-purpose compost, part-fill large pots or deep trays. Place each tuber, add labels, cover with compost and water well.

You can take cuttings if you wish as they develop if you want to increase your stock, or just put them into large pots or in the ground and hey bingo, come May June you should see some beautiful flowers starting to develop, a lot depends on weather of course.
My greenhouse grown dahlias don’t go out until May.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-01-2019, 05:29 PM

There you are Maddy, good advice from our Rehab.

Found him at last, trying to avoid the washing up by hiding at the back of his potting shed.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 05:40 PM

I am trying to get to grips with this new washing machine Mups....it’s all black magic....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top