Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Re: Almost a Third of Five Year Olds Don't Have Basic Speech

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I think the children should be taught the basics by the parents , then the teachers take over, with massive support from the parents.
Between them if the child is bright enough they should do a good job.
just sayin".
Exactly.

Teaching and learning is a joint project: teachers, parents and, lest we forget, many other personal and environmental contributions.

Debatable, I suppose, but I believe that genetics also plays a part with regard to how successful children will be during their educational years ('nature' as well as 'nurture').
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course it's a bloody problem. Read my last post!

Read what I said, bonehead!

Here it is again for you:

I'm impressed we don't seem to have anyone on this thread claiming it's not a problem. Might be something to do with the ages of the members.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:44 PM

But we do, at least I did.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
After 10 years you should be able to teach the very basics of English to almost any child bar a total retard.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
[/B]

Cant blame Blair it was Thatcher who was in power then, furthermore cant recollect any from my classes that could not read or do basic math either, these were large classes, ruled by healthy doses of corporal punishment if needed.
I can't argue with that.

The do-gooders' softly softly approach has never worked and, in fact, has done a great deal to ruin society in this country.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:48 PM

I find it both sad and hard to believe of five-year-olds still needing nappies.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-08-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
After 10 years you should be able to teach the very basics of English to almost any child bar a total retard.
Certainly you can teach the basics of English.

Learning them is another matter.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->

What an unpleasant phrase!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 07:02 PM

Exactly.

Teaching and learning is a joint project: teachers, parents and, lest we forget, many other personal and environmental contributions.

Debatable, I suppose, but I believe that genetics also plays a part with regard to how successful children will be during their educational years ('nature' as well as 'nurture').
Indupitably , J.BR
Gravitas
North England

03-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
What an unpleasant phrase!
Well that's science for you.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Yep I see it for myself . Friend looks after her son's girlfriends daughter who is almost 4 . She's now at nursery . Still in nappies , can't speak except makes sounds . She's been checked for hearing probs etc etc , but it's because the parents do not communicate with her , never read to her and give her what she wants when she points .

When my friend looks after her we speak , sing and read all the time to her .

Sad to say the mother is lazy ( it's a known fact ) and sticks the child's OWN tablet into the child's hands and leaves her be . Dreadful

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top