Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Two unfortunate tales

I have read two disturbing stories.

1. A French Bulldog was unable to whelp properly, so had to go in for an emergency C-section. They told the owner to leave thye dog and go home.

The next day the owner returned and collect 'Mum' and her 4 puppie - except there should have been 6.
The owner didn't know at the time, but the vet Dr. Zahra Tahaneem Rafiq and her Nurse, had taken 2 of the puppies for themselves!

The end result was, because this vet indicated remorse, the RCVS's only punishment was to suspend this vet from practicing for a piddly 6 months!

I'm afraid I would have fought them very hard, if anyone had stolen 2 of my puppies!

The next tale is a reminder to never forget to update a microchip.

The case is about an owner who felt very unwell one night and was rushed into hospital for an over night stay.
He was worried about leaving his Border Collie alone, and so the Police took his dog, Alfie, but then 'accidentally' gave him away!

The Police dropped him off at a branch of PetMedics, even though he was not unwell.
Despite Alfie being taken from his own home by police, he was still scanned and it found he was still registered to Richard's ex-wife, who he hadn't seen for three years.

10 a.m. the next morning, Richard came home from hospital to find his dog missing.
No one from the police would talk to him.

Two days, and many many phone calls later, this owner was shocked to find his dog being advertised by 'Leigh Dogs & Cats Home'. Their advert said the dog was nervous, and the owner had died.
Alfie was rehomed that very same day. Due to data protection, they won't say where.

Greater Manchester Pollice said - "As much as we wish the situation could be rectified happily, unofrtunately there are no legal powers available to GMP for us to get the dog back. We apologise for the upset this has caused."

I don't do Facebook, but apparently the owner has a Facebook page called Bring Alfie Home, if anyone wants to give him some support.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Re: Two unfortunate tales

Two upsetting stories Mups. I cannot imagine what Alfie's owner is going through. I googled bring Alfie home and got onto the facebook page which is called 'Alfie is home' but can't see anything about him being returned so I am a bit confused. Facebook is confusing anyway - terrible layout.

As for the vets, I am surprised they got such a light sentence. I don't suppose they will do it again but it makes you wonder if they have done it before.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:33 PM

I have found out that the Collie's owner managed to trace who had got his dog and then £2,500 was raised to help him take them to court.
After all this shameful carry-on, he finally got his dog back home.
A happy ending for a change.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have found out that the Collie's owner managed to trace who had got his dog and then £2,500 was raised to help him take them to court.
After all this shameful carry-on, he finally got his dog back home.
A happy ending for a change.
Oh that's good. I suppose it must have been difficult for them to let him go after three months but they should have just done the right thing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Oh that's good. I suppose it must have been difficult for them to let him go after three months but they should have just done the right thing.

The rescue place he was passed to, should never have advertised that the owner had died in the first place.
I wonder who told them that, or if they just invented it themselves?

Makes me wonder what would happen to mine if I got whisked away in the middle of the night.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 10:16 AM

That's pretty appalling and sad. More errors, that affect people's live. I had seen the one about the 4/6 puppies, but not the latter.

Very upsetting and I can't believe that the dog is unable to be retrieved from wherever it was , lawfully !

Pleased the guy got his pal back though. It was almost a tear jerker on a Wednesday morning, Mups.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The rescue place he was passed to, should never have advertised that the owner had died in the first place.
I wonder who told them that, or if they just invented it themselves?

Makes me wonder what would happen to mine if I got whisked away in the middle of the night.
OK big admission coming here in rescues we aren't always honest about where dogs come from. I've been involved in two cases over the years where we have swapped dogs with other rescues, ones we think will do better in a different area. The dogs we received were clearly not from the sort of homes we were told they were. And I also have to admit we occasionally make up stories for strays as for some reason it makes them easier to home. I think people just like some history.

We also down right lie about sex cases no one but no one wants a dog they think has been involved in bestiality.

The vet mentioned in first post should have been struck off. Not just for stealing but a puppy needs it's mum first few weeks she denied those puppies a decent start in life.

Microchips are great but yes update them if you move or give the dog up. We have had big battles with dogs came to us turned out not to be from the person handing them in.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Julie, I don't want to believe that!

If I took on a rescue dog, I would not expect - or be very pleased - to find I'd been told a pack of lies about him/her.

I can fully understand why many animals come in from unknown backgrounds, but where is the difficulty in just saying 'Unknown background,' - why lie?

I also strongly disagree with some so-called rescues letting animals go without a character/temperament assessment being done.
How irresponsible is that!

Many sites, if you look where it says . . . " OK with Cats, or OK with other animals" there is nearly always a "Don't know" for an answer.
I would want to know why they don't know.

No dog should be advertised without first being assessed.
How else do they know it is even safe? Totally irresponsible IMO.

I would even go as far as saying this could well be one reason for so many are returned to rescue after a short time - because the dog was nothing like it had been portrayed to be.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Mups I found this appalling !
Not to say irresponsible .
We got Mungo from a very reputable source .
Run by a wonderful lady for over thirty years and she is very careful about homing dogs
Dogs are described as not good with cats / other dogs / small children / as well as their more desirable qualities .
We did know some of his history not enough to breach data protection .
He has a wonderful temperament but she has had others in the past that she says she will never be able to rehome .
These invariably came from people who had LIED .
One came from someone who had called and described the dog ‘ a good temperament’ and it was literally untouchable the people brought it and dropped it over the fence ( she has since had high gates installed ) and drove away without even talking to her and no wonder it was impossible even to put a lead on .
They had dumped a potentially dangerous animal onto an innocent person .
( I actually saw this dog it was large and formidable )
Some people have no morals .

Re Alfie
I saw this it was all over the collie groups on line .
The police are not that good about dogs .
Lost dogs are now a civil matter and are handled ( often mishandled ) by the local council .
I was glad to hear he got hom back eventually.

In another case a small dog was stolen form a garden it’s was a child’s pet .
After five years a vet called the owner as the microchip was registered to them .
Delight turned to dismay when the local council sided with the people who had it saying they had the greater right!
So what’s the point in microchipping your pet if people can steal your dog with no redress ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-10-2019, 12:00 AM

Muddy, I never really thought much about Rescues lying before I read Julie's post.
I realise there are both good and bad places, but it is finding out which is which that could cause heartbreak for some people.

I think you were not only lucky with your boy, but also your knowledge and understanding of dogs would have helped him enormously.
I wonder if he would have turned out such a nice lad if he had been sent to a first time dog owner? I guess we'll never know.

There is an organisation where it says about welfare standards at Animal Rescue establishments.

http://www.adch.org.uk/about-adch/mi...nal-standards/

As for microchipping, in nearly every issue of my dog magazine I have on subscription, there are stories of dogs that have been chipped but still not returned to their rightful owners!
Apparently for some bizarre reason they say a chip is not proof of ownership!!

There has also pressure been put on DEFRA to insist scanning for chips must be enforced, but at the moment, they are reluctant to enforce this.
Utterly ridiculous IMO.
The way the law stands at the moment is, it is compulsory to microchip our animals, but NOT compulsory to scan them. Crazy.

I read a story of a poor woman who spent 5 months searching for her dog which had escaped. She paid for many adverts, put posters everywhere, I believe she registered it with Dog Lost, etc. but 5 months later she discovered it had been run over and died within 30 minutes of running off.

The reason it took so long was, the council workers who collect the bodies from RTA's aren't obliged to scan them.
Had they done this, someone could have let that poor woman know months before, that her dog had been in an accident.

Doesn't that sound so very wrong to you, cos it sure does to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top