Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:15 AM

Re: How do you keep your wild bird seed dry.

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Wild bird seed is a waste of time and money.
Planted some last year. Nothing, not a single wild bird came up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mups I would love to know how you keep the squirrels away.

Yes, they are a problem and a damn nuisance, Annie.
My dogs chase them away, but sometimes, within 5 mins they risk it again. They also dig out my tubs, and throw compost everywhere.
What I fear most though, are rats. Hate the wretched things. In fact, I have stopped feeding altogether at the mo because when next door had a few chickens, I was getting rats on my bird tables. Horrid things.

I don't like the hanging feeders, and would never hang the fat balls either, because bits drop down underneath and I don't want my dogs eating the bits of fat ball. That is another reason I use the tables and it keeps the food away from the dogs.
I used to put out mixed seeds, sunflower hearts etc for the larger birds and smaller seed for the little Robins, Tits, Wrens etc. I often mixed mealworms in with it so they all found something they liked.
Bits of crumbled cake, chopped nuts, grated cheese, all went down well too, as did shredded suet in the winter.

I really want to start feeding again to help them build up for winter. Perhaps I'll give it a try as the chickens are gone so maybe the rats will have too.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Dongle, if the rain is getting inside, the seed will get mould on it and that is harmful to the birds.

I have never seen a feeder that can't be cleaned?
If you take the lids off to top the seed up, can you not tip all the seed out and stick a bottle brush down the tube to wash it?

I don't use the hanging feeders. I have three bird tables similar to this sort of thing, so the food and water is protected from sun, rain and snow.
I use clay plant pot saucers for the food, and only put out enough for each day, so it is fresh every morning. Then I scrub the dishes out about once a week.

We have one just like that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top