Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Re: Replacing my Car.

Hi swims, I would suggest

Toyota Auris estate
Toyota avensis estate

Honda Civic estate

Avoid diesel, at this price you will be looking at modernish cars, equipped with a dpf filter,known to give problems with low mileage use, unless you can regularly blast it up the motorway for a longish run.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Hi swims, I would suggest

Toyota Auris estate
Toyota avensis estate

Honda Civic estate

Avoid diesel, at this price you will be looking at modernish cars, equipped with a dpf filter,known to give problems with low mileage use, unless you can regularly blast it up the motorway for a longish run.
Hi

Thanks for that.

I am a car numpty.

It will be used for very short trips 3 or 4 times a week to go fishing, a round trip of less than 5 miles.

It will have a once a fortnight 100 mile trip out.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Swims
Can I suggest you look on the honest John website
If you go onto the forum, motoring section there are a lot of very knowledgeable people, one in particular is an ex car dealer, if you tell them what your looking for, budget and mileage, then they will be able to give very helpful advice, and if you give them a rough idea whereabouts you are in the country, they can look up cars in your area..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 10:17 AM

Sue's Honda Civic estate. Basic model with sat nav. ex demo

Just measured. with the rear seats up the depth from tailgate to rear seat is about 3 ft and roughly the same between wheel arches. with the back seat down offers loads more space obviously

Sue gets an average around the houses of about 65/70mpg being diesel 1.6cc engine. Manual not auto

As I said before very well built. Do I have any points i don't like? yes just one and that is it being quite low I have to mind my head on the door frame , but then again I am used to a big 4x4 which may account for it. Also it didn't come with a spare wheel only one of those squerty kits.

I did get this on ebay

2005-2017 Honda Civic Space Saver Spare Wheel 16" Tyre+ GENUINE JACK & SPANNER £129.50. brand new. Yes there are used loads cheaper but have they been involved in an accident?which is why I went for new. Honda charge at least double that.

Sue went down a deep pothole and damaged a tyre. Luckily i had already got the spare wheel so the AA man did a wheel change instead of a tow to a garage. A must get, it fits ok under the rear load area

This version is road tax free so worth checking out for the same model (2016 year model)
I think Honda stopped making civic estates shortly afterwards, i may be wrong of cours
Primus1
York

27-10-2019, 10:44 AM

Nice car realspeed
But I’m not sure a diesel would be good for swimmy, with such low mileage, the dpf ( if it has one) will soon clog, and non EU6 compliant engines, will face stiff penalties for entering some cities
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sue's Honda Civic estate. Basic model with sat nav

Just measured. with the rear seats up the depth from tailgate to rear seat is about 3 ft and roughly the same between wheel arches. with the back seat down offers loads more space obviously

Sue gets an average around the houses of about 65/70mpg being diesel 1.6cc engine. Manual not auto

As I said before very well built. Do I have any points i don't like? yes just one and that is it being quite low I have to mind my head on the door frame , but then again I am used to a big 4x4 which may account for it. Also it didn't come with a spare wheel only one of those squerty kits.

I did get this on ebay

2005-2017 Honda Civic Space Saver Spare Wheel 16" Tyre+ GENUINE JACK & SPANNER £129.50. brand new. Yes there are used loads cheaper but have they been involved in an accident?which is why I went for new. Honda charge at least double that.

Sue went down a deep pothole and damaged a tyre. Luckily i had already got the spare wheel so the AA man did a wheel change instead of a tow to a garage. A must get, it fits ok under the rear load area

is version is road tax free so worth checking out for the same model (2016 year model)
Hi

Thanks for that.

My lodgers sell space savers on ebay, vast amounts of them, all unused.

They are both registered for VAT.

I know what they pay.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Nice car realspeed
But I’m not sure a diesel would be good for swimmy, with such low mileage, the dpf ( if it has one) will soon clog, and non EU6 compliant engines, will face stiff penalties for entering some cities
This one we have is ok the exhaust emissions are below the city requirements, hence no road tax. We often or should I say most of the time use it for short journeys. As long as it is serviced annually no problem with clogging. Yes a long journey say once a month does help. All I cay say we have not had any problems of that type and now has 16,000 miles on the clock.

Finding a Honda estate with the 1.6 engine is rather a rare beast, most have the 1.8cc engine that incures road tax.

no diesel auto version only petrol

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/h.../estate/review

Oh and it fits (just with wing mirrors folded) into modern size garage, or at least it does in ours

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top