Join for free
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 09:46 AM

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Excellent and glad that you have got it sorted - sounds like you found a good engineer there. Sludge in a CH system contains Iron Oxide and is magnetic. This adheres to the inside of pumps and copper pipes. As copper is non-magnetic, you can try a little test. If you have a hot water cylinder, then place a magnet where the cold feed from the small tank in the loft, joins onto the pipe going into the cylinder (normally the lower one) If the magnet sticks on the pipe unaided, then you still have traces of sludge in your system. It might only be a small amount, but something to keep an eye on.
Thanks for that GM, I just took your advice and tried my long handled picking up magnet at all entries & exits in the airing cupboard.
Got very little, or no, attraction at all.

Useful tip, will try it around the family!
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Excellent and glad that you have got it sorted - sounds like you found a good engineer there. Sludge in a CH system contains Iron Oxide and is magnetic. This adheres to the inside of pumps and copper pipes. As copper is non-magnetic, you can try a little test. If you have a hot water cylinder, then place a magnet where the cold feed from the small tank in the loft, joins onto the pipe going into the cylinder (normally the lower one) If the magnet sticks on the pipe unaided, then you still have traces of sludge in your system. It might only be a small amount, but something to keep an eye on.
Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Thanks for that GM, I just took your advice and tried my long handled picking up magnet at all entries & exits in the airing cupboard.
Got very little, or no, attraction at all.

Useful tip, will try it around the family!
Yes excellent tip,tried mine this morning prior to the new valve this Friday, all seems ok.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 12:37 AM

Glad that it helped
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 12:47 AM

in my extensive experience of having boiler problems, a badly designed system can cause more problems than an old boiler. Redundant pipes or poorly thought through geography of pipework can cause so much grief.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
in my extensive experience of having boiler problems, a badly designed system can cause more problems than an old boiler. Redundant pipes or poorly thought through geography of pipework can cause so much grief.
Quite right Annie and in the past, I worked on boilers/systems that were over 30 years old and still chugging along. OK, so they are not as efficient as modern boilers, so what! I got er, told off, many times from BG for not trying to sell a new boiler.
When it had a service, if it met the legal? requirements, in my opinion, it was good for another year.

Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top