Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 09:03 PM

Power plug stand DIY method

First of all why? I got absolutely fed up with swapping plus for different battery chargers for the cameras and equipment.

So decided to tidy the desk up and buiild a proper DIY wood stand to take 8 sockets. Already had a 6 way socket strip but I needed 8 .
Out in the workshop I dug out a 2ft plank and cut it down to be only 3 inches wide Next was to make up a couple of wooden blocks and then screw the wood to it.
The white 6 way had slots in the underneath, so it only required screw to fit and the unit to slid into place with the screws just in the wood far enough to hold.

Scratching around the boxes I manage to find a metal 2 way switched socket . So already have round 3 core cable I used for an outside project many years ago but the latest wiring code. So connected that up and again had proper tightening glands to stop the cable moving at the sockets.
Screwed that to the wood plank and now happy I have what I wanted. Double sided tape used to stick to the desktop
Should now mark everything up with Dinotape but last time most fell off
At least it has kept the desk top tidy
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 09:28 PM

Re: Power plug stand DIY method

Nice job, very impressive, and a great idea realspeed....
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 04:49 PM

I hope your realise you have a dangerous non compliant and UNFUSED Chinese 13a plug in that set up. It's No 4 from the left and if you cut it open you will find that the wires are affixed to the plug's pins direct without any fuse in the 'live' connection path. I suggest you cut it off and the fix an approved 13a BS 1363 plug top with 3amp max fuse fitted inside it, or better still a 1amp which will handle up to 240 watts and maybe more until it ruptures.

Read what Nick Hill has to say on the subject:-
http://www.nickhill.co.uk/unfused_pl...rom_china.html
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 05:35 PM

No I never gave it a thought LD thank you for pointing it out. As you can see above I have replaced the offending plug.
Old chinese knockoff now binned.

now fitted with 3 amp fuse and will keep as a spare

Thanks again for the heads up
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:38 PM

Well spotted LongDriver......I've not come across one of those before, but thanks from me too, I'll keep my eyes open for them in future.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

08-06-2020, 10:09 PM

found that photo with the chinese plug. 4th from the left
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well spotted LongDriver......I've not come across one of those before, but thanks from me too, I'll keep my eyes open for them in future.....
Also keep alert for non compliant 13a to foreign plug type adaptors that do not contain a fuse to protect the appliance you wish to use on our British 13a plug system. Without a fuse the appliance would be protected by the 13a socket ring circuit protection right back at the distribution board, where a 32amp circuit breaker will usually be the protection.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Also keep alert for non compliant 13a to foreign plug type adaptors that do not contain a fuse to protect the appliance you wish to use on our British 13a plug system. Without a fuse the appliance would be protected by the 13a socket ring circuit protection right back at the distribution board, where a 32amp circuit breaker will usually be the protection.
Thanks again for that LongDriver....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top