Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 07:19 AM

Re: Eating Out ..... Earliest Memories

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Yes, followed by Black Forest gateaux, if you had room - courtesy of Berni Inn!

Yes ... Berni Inn! I didn't have any gateaux (or Babycham for that matter) but I remember the coffee with cream on top?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 07:26 AM

and I remember Hot Dogs as a kid, served from a van with squeezey ketchup & mustard. Scrummy.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A Chinese restaurant in Settle (North Yorkshire) when I and my siblings were kids. Having stopped at Ye Olde Naked Man (Settle) on the way to the Lake District, we stopped here on the way back. Obviously, having never heard of Chinese cuisine in those days, I opted for a steak and kidney pudding with chips and gravy from the English menu. It was a Holland's steak and kidney pud and I've been addicted to them ever since. I can still remember the smell of the chips to this day.
I didn't know the Naked Man was once a Chinese Judd...it's a bakery and Tea Shop now......I don't remember ever having dined out as a kid unless you call eating at my Grannies dining out.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 09:22 AM

My earliest memories of eating out are of Lewis's tea room in their store in Leicester in the early 1950s. As children my sister and I were occasionally taken into Leicester on the double decker bus for clothes shopping (C&A as I recall) and then to Lewis's for afternoon tea - served at tables with white tablecloths by waitresses in black dresses, white aprons and white cap/bands on their heads. What luxury! Later the tea-room was turned into a self-service restaurant with formica topped tables - not so luxurious!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 07:48 PM

Scampi and chips in a basket and l vomited all night!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I didn't know the Naked Man was once a Chinese Judd...it's a bakery and Tea Shop now......I don't remember ever having dined out as a kid unless you call eating at my Grannies dining out.
It wasn't and isn't - it's always been a Tea Shop as far as I'm aware. It was two old ladies (well they looked old to me) wearing white pinnies that waited on the tables serving big pots of tea with cakes and sandwiches. You could buy big slabs of Kendal Mint cake there too. Damn, I really fancy some now.

The Chinese restaurant was some way out of Settle on the road from Kendal. We only called there because, as usual, the traffic was clogged up. No by-pass to the Lakes in those days, just long gruelling twisty `B` roads.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:39 PM

I remembe\r being taken to Kunzles teashop, for their wonderful cakes ans a pot of tea [long gone now ,sigh .]
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 12:52 PM

St Peter Port, the tang of salt and vinegar in a local chippie after a day trip to Sark.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top