Join for free
Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Re: Runner Beans

I had my first and what may be the only runner beans today and they were delicious.
Sadly most of the flowers have fallen off without setting in my absence and the aphids have taken over. When it cools down later I will be out there with washing up liquid doing a spot of squishing....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I had my first and what may be the only runner beans today and they were delicious.
Sadly most of the flowers have fallen off without setting in my absence and the aphids have taken over. When it cools down later I will be out there with washing up liquid doing a spot of squishing....
Oh no. That's terrible.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We had our first runner beans last Thursday and more to come this week by the looks of them.
A nice big display there Barry.

I still don't know if I have planted enough, I have some more at the end of the garden in a pot but it's ll a bit of an experiment for this year.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Such a problem when you go away in hot weather Meg, , we are very lucky in that our good neighbour will always water the essentials in our absence, but not everyone has that luxury I know. I do hope you are able to resurrect your beans, they really are one of the best vegetables of the year.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 08:20 PM

I only have 3 runner beans on my plants at the moment.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I only have 3 runner beans on my plants at the moment.
Bless! I hope they taste gorgeous susie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 11:33 PM

We had our first runner beans last Thursday and more to come this week by the looks of them.

Looks good Barry.
How many canes have you got supporting all them?

Had the first French beans tonight with some roast pork, and they were scrummy, lovely and tender.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Looks good Barry.
How many canes have you got supporting all them?

Had the first French beans tonight with some roast pork, and they were scrummy, lovely and tender.
Just six canes Mups with two plants per cane planted four weeks apart. I lost all of my french beans this year, seems some sort of weevil attacked the roots so I will have to sterilise the soil there before I use it again..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Just six canes Mups with two plants per cane planted four weeks apart. I lost all of my french beans this year, seems some sort of weevil attacked the roots so I will have to sterilise the soil there before I use it again..

Thanks Barry.
What variety did you plant this year? I have got 'Firestorm', they are a white flowered variety and supposed to set beans well regardless of adverse weather.

My French beans are coming quicker than I can eat them, so I gave some to a friend for her dinner last night. There seems loads more this morning, I think they must be magic beans.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 11:58 AM

Me too Meg I have four beans which I shall eat tonight that's about a small mouthfull each .

My garden has not done well this year I have too many ants which have encouraged these black aphid things that have decimated the nastutions which usuallygive a fantastic show .
The builders have wrecked the rest of the garden and the peas all went to seed .
Bit like us I guess.

Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top