Join for free
Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Me too Meg I have four beans which I shall eat tonight that's about a small mouthfull each .

My garden has not done well this year I have too many ants which have encouraged these black aphid things that have decimated the nastutions which usuallygive a fantastic show .
The builders have wrecked the rest of the garden and the peas all went to seed .
Bit like us I guess.
All that wasted effort Muddy never mind, that's gardening for you.
On the plus side my herb garden is full of Mediterranean plants and they love the sun.
There is always next year
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 12:33 PM

I have some herbs but I tend to look at them rather than use them !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Barry.
What variety did you plant this year? I have got 'Firestorm', they are a white flowered variety and supposed to set beans well regardless of adverse weather.

My French beans are coming quicker than I can eat them, so I gave some to a friend for her dinner last night. There seems loads more this morning, I think they must be magic beans.
I tried Firestorm last year for a change but was quite disappointed, so I've gone back to the old favourite Moonlight, which always seems to perform very well and with really tasty stringless pods.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I tried Firestorm last year for a change but was quite disappointed, so I've gone back to the old favourite Moonlight, which always seems to perform very well and with really tasty stringless pods.

I'm a twit, Barry Just had a look at the packet, and it's not 'Firestorm' at all, it's 'SNOWstorm'.

I knew it was some sort of storm.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 06:33 PM

I'm a twit, Barry Just had a look at the packet, and it's not 'Firestorm' at all, it's 'SNOWstorm'.

I knew it was some sort of storm.
I did wonder when you said white flowers.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 06:41 PM

My Summer Medley beans seem to be doing well but only about an inch long at the moment. I had a count up this morning and have counted about a hundred, that's on six canes.

I have some more at the end of the garden but I don't know what type they are. The flowers are white, pink and sort of cream. They are slightly behind which is good. I can't wait to try them all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 06:47 PM

I always grow 'Aintree' runner beans, they have a lovely flavour and are not stringy. So many beans seem to have little taste these days.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I always grow 'Aintree' runner beans, they have a lovely flavour and are not stringy. So many beans seem to have little taste these days.
I am making a note of all these names.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My Summer Medley beans seem to be doing well but only about an inch long at the moment. I had a count up this morning and have counted about a hundred, that's on six canes.

I have some more at the end of the garden but I don't know what type they are. The flowers are white, pink and sort of cream. They are slightly behind which is good. I can't wait to try them all.

Could they be 'Painted Lady' , does that ring a bell?
They are quite a pretty red & white flower. My friend used to grow them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-07-2018, 11:12 PM

Could they be 'Painted Lady' , does that ring a bell?
They are quite a pretty red & white flower. My friend used to grow them.
Oh dear. I'm all confused Mups, it must be the heat.

I have just remembered that they are the Summer Medley ones.

The ones I bought from the hardware shop with no label are all bright red flowers,

Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top