Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 01:53 PM

Help, I need technical advice!

Every time Windows 10 tell me to update, I just press ok but have had some temporary changes to things on my PC when it happens.
Yesterday I said OK to an update, but now it seems to have changed things that I don't want & I don't know how to change them back.
On OFF and another site I use I can't get rid of a black background with white writing, but I much prefer black writing on white.
I am not technical but know that something is wrong, so could somebody, who is clever, please tell me how to change this.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 02:06 PM

Re: Help, I need technical advice!

Try pressing Windows Key+CTRL+C (all together)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Every time Windows 10 tell me to update, I just press ok but have had some temporary changes to things on my PC when it happens.
Yesterday I said OK to an update, but now it seems to have changed things that I don't want & I don't know how to change them back.
On OFF and another site I use I can't get rid of a black background with white writing, but I much prefer black writing on white.
I am not technical but know that something is wrong, so could somebody, who is clever, please tell me how to change this.
Hi Twink,

Try this first:-

"Select the Start Start symbol button, then select Settings > Personalization to choose a picture worthy of gracing your desktop background, and to change the accent color for Start, the taskbar, and other items. The preview window gives you a sneak peek of your changes as you make them.

In Background, select a picture or solid color, or create a slideshow of pictures."

That's the colour set up page in windows 10.

Let us know?

Failing that, When in this App (OFF), click the 3 dots (top right) then "Settings", then check out the theme settings, in there.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 02:52 PM

Nothing seems to be working. but why would a computer fault change things like that, and why do these things happen everytime I agree to a windows update?

I am getting so fed up with Windows 10!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Nothing seems to be working. but why would a computer fault change things like that, and why do these things happen everytime I agree to a windows update?

I am getting so fed up with Windows 10!
Have you tried the suggestions?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 03:01 PM

Hi Twink I delete all updates that are not security updates .
I do this by going to ...
..Settings
..Updates and security
..view update history
..Uninstall updates

Then I select any update in the list that isn't a security update.
Then restart the computer.

I 'delay' any updates but I am only allowed by Microsoft to delay for so long (about a month) so I now allow the updates when I am ready and instantly delete any I don't want .
Yesterday update caused a couple of seconds delay in uploading things , all is well since I uninstalled it .

ETA Ted has explained about the background so I won't.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 03:10 PM

I get really sick of updates I don't want changes made to my Laptop without my permission
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I get really sick of updates I don't want changes made to my Laptop without my permission

Totally agree.

When we take our car in for a service, it doesn't come back a different colour, or pink headlights, else they'd get lynched!
So why are they allowed to change colours and such on our computers whenever it suits them?
It's all wrong IMO.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Totally agree.

When we take our car in for a service, it doesn't come back a different colour, or pink headlights, else they'd get lynched!
So why are they allowed to change colours and such on our computers whenever it suits them?
It's all wrong IMO.
I'll put my pedant, huffy stuffy, face on, and remind us all that you might own the Laptop, but you don't own the Windows package which is on it. You only own the "key" which lets you use it.

When Windows (and others) are installed you are seen as accepting their (Microsoft) terms & conditions.

Those terms & conditions are in there, somewhere, and that's why they don't have to ask permission to update your PC.

It's all a bit like leasing a car - it's not yours!

Same with almost all software!

Huffy stuffy mode off!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I'll put my pedant, huffy stuffy, face on, and remind us all that you might own the Laptop, but you don't own the Windows package which is on it. You only own the "key" which lets you use it.

When Windows (and others) are installed you are seen as accepting their (Microsoft) terms & conditions.

Those terms & conditions are in there, somewhere, and that's why they don't have to ask permission to update your PC.

It's all a bit like leasing a car - it's not yours!

Same with almost all software!

Huffy stuffy mode off!

OK Mr. Huffy, you win.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top