Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 02:04 PM

Re: When Did You First.....

Originally Posted by summer ->
Hubby worked in computers so we had one early on in the late 80s early 90s I think....I used to play backgammon on it then I discovered ICQ... remember that? I'm not into chat sites though they are full of weird people pretending to be this or that....that was my experience anyway.
I'm not familiar with ICQ, Summer, but I did enjoy the first games that came out...and even now I prefer PC games, rather than stand alone consoles. Chat sites I don't do either. They ARE full of weird people and the one time I tried was very weird, so nope.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I had my first computer in the late 90s, my husband had one in the early 90s.
Did you find it easier /familiar to use because your husband had one, RJG? Did he help you set it up?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 02:23 PM

Bruces post made me think of the times I was a courier in the 2000's One of my most frequent jobs was to deliver electronic parts to BT engineers who were dealing with emergencies. I could be called out day or night.

One such job was in Bury, an engineer was working on a telephone exchange there and needed parts urgently. It was eleven at night and I rushed to Bury with the parts. The telephone exchange was housed in a beautiful four story building, the architecture was unique. I was met at the door by the engineer who asked if I was interested in this stuff....Does Long John Silver walk with a limp....

We climbed the stairs past three empty floors until we arrived at the top floor where in the far corner were what looked like lockers. He opened one of the locker doors and I was faced with a myriad of flashing green lights. He removed a circuit board and replaced it with the one I had just delivered. Everything worked and he closed the door......
He told me that this whole building used to be full of Electro Mechanical switch gear, but now it had been condensed into just three or four lockers tucked away in the corner of the top floor....Amazing!
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 02:28 PM

It was about 16 years ago, I didn't have any interest in computers couldn't even switch one on, my son in law persuaded us to get one,,,he got us the first one second hand think it was xp....I know now the reason was that I'd get hooked on it leaving my husband free to watch all the football he wanted on telly ,still true to this day...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

29-04-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Bruces post made me think of the times I was a courier in the 2000's One of my most frequent jobs was to deliver electronic parts to BT engineers who were dealing with emergencies. I could be called out day or night.

One such job was in Bury, an engineer was working on a telephone exchange there and needed parts urgently. It was eleven at night and I rushed to Bury with the parts. The telephone exchange was housed in a beautiful four story building, the architecture was unique. I was met at the door by the engineer who asked if I was interested in this stuff....Does Long John Silver walk with a limp....

We climbed the stairs past three empty floors until we arrived at the top floor where in the far corner were what looked like lockers. He opened one of the locker doors and I was faced with a myriad of flashing green lights. He removed a circuit board and replaced it with the one I had just delivered. Everything worked and he closed the door......
He told me that this whole building used to be full of Electro Mechanical switch gear, but now it had been condensed into just three or four lockers tucked away in the corner of the top floor....Amazing!
I love that story, Foxy! And yes, everything has just shrunk and shrunk, yet bizarrely got bigger and bigger in capacity. I still struggle to get my head round it - especially when I looked at pics of the very first computers, and like you said - they took up an entire floorspace! I wonder what the building you mentioned is now...is it still standing, even?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

29-04-2021, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
It was about 16 years ago, I didn't have any interest in computers couldn't even switch one on, my son in law persuaded us to get one,,,he got us the first one second hand think it was xp....I know now the reason was that I'd get hooked on it leaving my husband free to watch all the football he wanted on telly ,still true to this day...
Ahh Paula...sneaky eh? Thing is now though, I suppose your husband could watch it on a myriad of devices, and leave the TV for you! Heh
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 02:53 PM

Yes Pixie, that's very true....If he knew how to...
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
1983, Mr Magoo?? Good grief I don't think I had even used an electric typewriter by that time! I would love to know what computers were like back then....were they easy to use?
No they were not. Even so, the advent of the personal computer made a hige difference. Before then it was much worse.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top