Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Re: Patronising or kind?

There is another (new) part to this. Veronica has a `thing`about things being in order,not full blown OCD,but it can get silly.

Mimi has borrowed one of my guitars and although it`s left handed she was managing to get a tune from it-----------until................Mummy this guitar sounds a bit odd.

Vee had only put all the knobs(tuning pegs) facing the same way.

One has to laugh.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Well IME laughing at OCD like behaviour is best way to deal with it, just make sure the person realises it's the behaviour not them you laugh at
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 07:53 PM

It's always difficult to know if you're being patronising or kind. You are just trying to do what you want to do for someone. Last week, my neighbour on the other side of me knocked my window to say my other neighbour had a power cut. He couldn't help and said to phone her son. I went in and it was totally pitch black and felt helpless. By that time she had phoned her son. I had no torch, and I felt bad. Anyway, the next day I told my partner, who was horrified I didn't have a torch . So he promptly ordered my neighbour and me one. Plug in ones that light up during the night and turn off in the daylight. I took it in to my neighbour and her son was there and I explained the whole story. Upshot is that you can see the light shining from the plug in torch in her hall. She's in her 80's and has definite dementia. I felt a bit of an intruder taking the torch in, but it has definitely benefitted her. You have to think if it is going to be of benefit to them, then it's not patronising
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 12:43 PM

I am a rotten tease. Veronica speaks good English but she grew up in what was then Rhodesia(Zimbabwe) So I ring her this morning to say I have bought Mimi a guitar but it comes with strings attached.

Oh do you mean conditions??

Yep six of them.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 10:20 PM

Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

23-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Mimi`s guitar has arrived(oh and I did think to get a tuner and a strap)-a battery I have.

Do I leave it all in a big box to give her the wonder of unpacking or check it`s all in order??

You think these questions are easy but I never had children.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Mimi`s guitar has arrived(oh and I did think to get a tuner and a strap)-a battery I have.

Do I leave it all in a big box to give her the wonder of unpacking or check it`s all in order??

You think these questions are easy but I never had children.
Yes do check it and then wrap it again.

Can you do that ?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top