Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:20 PM

Re: Unannounced visitors ......

Boiling Oil off the battlements.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Boiling Oil off the battlements.
A bit drastic Nom
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
A bit drastic Nom
Maybe but burning at the stake is too much hard work these days, all that chopping wood you know.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Does it bother you, if a visitor turns up at your door without ringing you first ?
I have never turned up at someones door expecting them to drop everything because I've decided to visit them, but we get this a lot. Even though our internal phone is not directly charged, so costs nothing to ask if they can pop over - Ggrrrr, don't like it ........
I would really dislike visitors turning up at my front door, without phoning me first and I would never turn up at theirs unannounced either. Neighbours with an emergency of course is totally different.

A friend of mine who I see from time to time was doing a 'ramble' which took in our village. She e mailed to ask if she could pop in after the walk but I said I would be out visiting my MIL and wouldn't be in. We came home early as I was very poorly. We'd just got through the door when my mobile went. It was another friend who I only see a couple of times a year and she was on the same ramble. The two 'friends' had decided it would be a good idea to come to my house as the walk was just finishing and they were close by.

I explained how I'd just got in and that I was feeling very ill and not up to visitors, but this 'friend' still kept on insisting it would be a good idea. I said that I was about to go to bed, and she even asked me if I was 'actually' in bed!! I felt a little peeved that I'd been put under pressure and had to keep insisting that I wasn't up to seeing anyone.

Had it been one of my very close friends then I probably wouldn't have minded seeing them in the state I was in.

So, the answer to your question is, that it definitely would bother me !!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
I would really dislike visitors turning up at my front door, without phoning me first and I would never turn up at theirs unannounced either. Neighbours with an emergency of course is totally different.

A friend of mine who I see from time to time was doing a 'ramble' which took in our village. She e mailed to ask if she could pop in after the walk but I said I would be out visiting my MIL and wouldn't be in. We came home early as I was very poorly. We'd just got through the door when my mobile went. It was another friend who I only see a couple of times a year and she was on the same ramble. The two 'friends' had decided it would be a good idea to come to my house as the walk was just finishing and they were close by.

I explained how I'd just got in and that I was feeling very ill and not up to visitors, but this 'friend' still kept on insisting it would be a good idea. I said that I was about to go to bed, and she even asked me if I was 'actually' in bed!! I felt a little peeved that I'd been put under pressure and had to keep insisting that I wasn't up to seeing anyone.

Had it been one of my very close friends then I probably wouldn't have minded seeing them in the state I was in.

So, the answer to your question is, that it definitely would bother me !!
Thank goodness for that - thought I was gonna get an earful !
But that's been my experience too - not very pleased when I don't just open the door wide enough for them to get in
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Maybe but burning at the stake is too much hard work these days, all that chopping wood you know.
I'll think on it
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Just playing devil's advocate, but if you can tell someone on the phone that you are too busy/having a bad day/ it's not convenient is it that much harder to tell them the same on the doorstep?
Once someone's on your doorstep, you'd have to let them in, if only for a few minutes, to explain why you are not up to seeing them, or that you're too busy and by then, the damage is done

Mind you if anyone turned up at our house out of the blue, after looking at the expression on my face, they wouldn't want to come in !!
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire

04-01-2015, 03:36 PM

Thank goodness for that - thought I was gonna get an earful !
But that's been my experience too - not very pleased when I don't just open the door wide enough for them to get in
I'm imagining that door of yours, very slightly ajar and you peeking through the gap, telling them to get lost !!!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:37 PM

No it wouldn't bother Me as the only regular visitors I get these days are Family,who are always welcome to pop in any time without phoning first..,I live happily alone but would welcome in anyone unexpected to have a cup of tea and a blether as long as They didn't outstay Their welcome or make it a habit (I have a low boredom threshold) ;~)
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
as long as They didn't outstay Their welcome
I'd never do that to anyone. I also don't like it getting done to me. I'd never think of hanging around if someone was about to have lunch or dinner.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top