Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 08:26 PM

Quandary!

Two friends of mine have just started making cards and asked if they could come for a coffee and some help. They were supposed to come on Thursday - no time specified. I waited in all day, could not settle to do anything - including making lunch! About 5:15pm I had a phone call from them, full of apologies, they had problems and couldn't make it - would Sunday be OK. I said that it would be fine.

Yesterday I waited in all day, turned down a lunch invitation, couldn't settle to do anything, and once again they did not turn up and this time there has been no phone call and these are people who would have to have their mobile phones surgically removed!!

They are also the kind of good friends who would give anyone their last penny.

Do I phone them and tell them that I am hurt and angry?

Do I just ignore it and become amazingly busy next time they want to visit?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 08:28 PM

Re: Quandary!

I think I'd go for option one. Although not easy to do, I think you need to get your feelings across to them.
And if they are good friends they should appreciate your honesty.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Id choose the second option , you are so busy .
Thats was not a nice thing to do to you ..
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Oh, that is so bad, very bad manners there I would be hurt but also really angry. If they phone to apologise I would say 'Oh heavens, were you due to come over Sunday, I completely forgot and went out, so glad you didn't call'

I would certainly be far too busy to accommodate them next time, too!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Two friends of mine have just started making cards and asked if they could come for a coffee and some help. They were supposed to come on Thursday - no time specified. I waited in all day, could not settle to do anything - including making lunch! About 5:15pm I had a phone call from them, full of apologies, they had problems and couldn't make it - would Sunday be OK. I said that it would be fine.

Yesterday I waited in all day, turned down a lunch invitation, couldn't settle to do anything, and once again they did not turn up and this time there has been no phone call and these are people who would have to have their mobile phones surgically removed!!

They are also the kind of good friends who would give anyone their last penny.

Do I phone them and tell them that I am hurt and angry?

Do I just ignore it and become amazingly busy next time they want to visit?
I'd be tempted to agree to a next time but with a time specified then I'd go out an hour before the visitors are due to arrive.

Actions speak louder than words ST! stevmk2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 08:40 PM

Without necessarily showing my anger I'd certainly be looking for some kind of explanation, but why you didn't fix a time in the first place baffles me to be honest ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 08:46 PM

Hi ST I would contact the people in question and ask if everything was alright because you understood they were coming on Sunday but they failed to arrive and you were a bit concerned .

Then next time if they wanted to come I would say it wasn't convenient.

This way you will let them know they let you down and avoid another visit.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 10:05 PM

If they are your good friends forgive them. If they are people you are not bothered about tell them to get lost.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 10:09 PM

I think Meg´s suggestion is good.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 10:40 PM

I would wait and give them a third chance, if they break the third appointment I would tell them the whole thing is off..for good. Then you could say you gave them three chances, nothing could be fairer than that, you will come out on top because you didn’t get angry (you did but they don't know that) at any stage and you can still be the best of friends. Revenge is not always the best option, I'm for the 'It could happen to a bishop twice' way, the forgive and forget way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top